Questions

Windows 2003 Server with Dyndns

+
0 Votes

Windows 2003 Server with Dyndns

xvxbladexvx
Hi All,

This is my first post so I am going to try to give as much details as possible. I have a Maxtor Maxattach 4300. I have just installed Windows 2003 Server. I have registered an account with dyndns.org. I am connected to a linksys WRT54G wireless router. My main goal is to set up this NAS so I can access my shares/printer from outside of my network. I have done this before using windows 2000 and having hamachi installed on the NAS as well as all of my machines. I cannot install hamachi on my work computer or customer's computers if I need to access my files. I want to be able to connect to my network using any windows xp machine without having to install additional programs. I have tried setting up a VPN myself but client machines are still unable to connect. I also plan on setting up an exchange server can I do this using dyndns? Or would I need to purchase a domain? Please any information would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
  • +
    0 Votes
    mikeataol

can you advise how u got 2003 server up on a Maxattach 4300?

Ive got a MaxAtach 4100 , am very familiar with recovering it, building it, using it. but the 2000 Server Apppliance Kit OS it runs is very fragile, it can't take any newer software. (its limited to 2000 SP2)

I've tried a couple of times to install Windows 2003 Standard over it, still playing with it, but ts a shame to what I think is a great piece of hardware be so hamstrung by the old OS.

It runs fine as configured and delivered with 2000 SAK, but it makes for a pretty static machine, I'd like to squeeze more usability out of it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

+
    0 Votes

Yes

Nimmo

You can create a dyndns account add the address into your router and then setup port forwarding for each service you wish to use.

You will then reference the VPN to a hostname rather than an IP address.

• +
    0 Votes
    mikeataol

can you advise how u got 2003 server up on a Maxattach 4300?

Ive got a MaxAtach 4100 , am very familiar with recovering it, building it, using it. but the 2000 Server Apppliance Kit OS it runs is very fragile, it can't take any newer software. (its limited to 2000 SP2)

I've tried a couple of times to install Windows 2003 Standard over it, still playing with it, but ts a shame to what I think is a great piece of hardware be so hamstrung by the old OS.

It runs fine as configured and delivered with 2000 SAK, but it makes for a pretty static machine, I'd like to squeeze more usability out of it.

Any tips would be appreciated.

+
    0 Votes

Yes

Nimmo

You can create a dyndns account add the address into your router and then setup port forwarding for each service you wish to use.

You will then reference the VPN to a hostname rather than an IP address.