Questions

windows server 2003

Tags: Security, Windows, Operating Systems
+
0 Votes

windows server 2003

philstilliard
USB memory stick is not displayed in Windows Explorer in windows server 2003. I have tried several sticks and several sockets, is this a security policy?

Member Answers

• +
      0 Votes
      HAL 9000 Moderator

Are the USB Ports turned on in BIOS?

As this is a Server what else is actually installed?

Things like some Security Software can disable USB Devices and depending on where the server came from it could be by design.

Which version of 2003 is this?

The SBS Version has a lot of other software like IIS and so on that is available for install and there could very easily be something in that which is stopping the USB Ports from working.

Have you tried a USB Printer or scanner and see if that works?

Col

+
      0 Votes
      gechurch

I agree with all of Col's suggestions, but like you I would be looking at security policies first. To check run rsop.msc (resultant set of policies). Check for any policies in Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access (either computer or user).

• +
      0 Votes
      HAL 9000 Moderator

Are the USB Ports turned on in BIOS?

As this is a Server what else is actually installed?

Things like some Security Software can disable USB Devices and depending on where the server came from it could be by design.

Which version of 2003 is this?

The SBS Version has a lot of other software like IIS and so on that is available for install and there could very easily be something in that which is stopping the USB Ports from working.

Have you tried a USB Printer or scanner and see if that works?

Col

+
      0 Votes
      gechurch

I agree with all of Col's suggestions, but like you I would be looking at security policies first. To check run rsop.msc (resultant set of policies). Check for any policies in Policies\Administrative Templates\System\Removable Storage Access (either computer or user).