Questions

Windows Server 2003 - Group Policy Setup

+
0 Votes

Windows Server 2003 - Group Policy Setup

mr.sweetchuck
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to use Group Policy to do the following in a Window (Small Business) Server 2003 enviroment:

1. prevent users from changing their desktop
2. prevent users from changing their screen saver
3. prevent users from changing their start menu

Additionally, is it possible to change a user's desktop when they log into a machine on a domain? Ideally I'd like to lock down their rights then set up the domain so that the desktops automatically change to a standardised look and feel [same desktop, screen saver and start menu].

I should also note that there is a mixture of windows Vista and XP machines in the domain.

Thanks in advance,
chuck.
  • +
    0 Votes

Yes

Wizard-09

All of what you want can be done with GPO to get the same desktop for everyone in a dep or for the hole business you need to configure it with gpo and use the redirect if you need a detailed plan i can give you one this is just the quick answer.

+
    0 Votes

?

n77skyrocket

Can you give me details on how I can restrict users to change date and time by implementing GPO on windows server 2008
    Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    Wizard-09

Here you go

*Local Computer Policy
    *Windows Settings
    *Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment
    Change system time
    Make sure that the user and any groups that the user belongs to are not allowed.

+
    0 Votes
    n77skyrocket

I tried this in GPO, I gave the rights to administrator to change date and time, but still Other users are able to change date and time.

+
    0 Votes

???

Wizard-09

This is the correct setup, please read the bottom line and ensure that they are not part of any other group.

*Local Computer Policy
    *Windows Settings
    *Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment
    Change system time
    **Make sure that the user and any groups that the user belongs to are not allowed**

+
    0 Votes
    mr.sweetchuck

Hi,
    Thanks for your post. Could you recomend a link for the instructions to do this, as I'm unsure how to do this.

Thanks,
    chuck

• +
    0 Votes

Yes

Wizard-09

All of what you want can be done with GPO to get the same desktop for everyone in a dep or for the hole business you need to configure it with gpo and use the redirect if you need a detailed plan i can give you one this is just the quick answer.

+
    0 Votes

?

n77skyrocket

Can you give me details on how I can restrict users to change date and time by implementing GPO on windows server 2008
    Thanks

+
    0 Votes
    Wizard-09

Here you go

*Local Computer Policy
    *Windows Settings
    *Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment
    Change system time
    Make sure that the user and any groups that the user belongs to are not allowed.

+
    0 Votes
    n77skyrocket

I tried this in GPO, I gave the rights to administrator to change date and time, but still Other users are able to change date and time.

+
    0 Votes

???

Wizard-09

This is the correct setup, please read the bottom line and ensure that they are not part of any other group.

*Local Computer Policy
    *Windows Settings
    *Security Settings
    Local Policies
    User Rights Assignment
    Change system time
    **Make sure that the user and any groups that the user belongs to are not allowed**

+
    0 Votes
    mr.sweetchuck

Hi,
    Thanks for your post. Could you recomend a link for the instructions to do this, as I'm unsure how to do this.

Thanks,
    chuck