Questions

Windows Server 2003 rebooting randomly, many times a day

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Windows Server 2003 rebooting randomly, many times a day

smn723
We have a windows server 2003 machine that has been restarting randomly (now about every 15-30 minutes) for the past few days. It was originally rebooting occasionally then it started rebooting all the time. We ran Microsoft's memory diagnostics program and the memory passed all tests multiple times. I tried using booting up using the last known good config and no luck. Any ideas as to what we should be checking? This is a very important server so we need to get it resolved asap. Both the primary boot and the boot mirror provide the same results (rebooting every 15-30 minutes). There are no errors in event viewer telling us what may have happened. The system doesn't go to a blue screen or any error it just goes straight to rebooting itself. I appreciate all assistance in this matter. Thanks.
  • +
    0 Votes
    aaalvh

I got a reboot daily (not so frequent) du to the power default. Even green light on the mother board and network card seems OK. Try to change the main alimentation (low cost test around 60 us$ on my HP server and 5 minutes works).

+
    0 Votes
    crwjoe

If the os is SMB 2003 then you have to set it up as a domin. I have ran into this issue before. SMB will keep rebooting every 15 to 30 minutes.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    cgomezmt

That happened to me while running Windows 2003 SBS and Windows Server 2003 on the same network both acting as DC for the same domain.
    Win SBS 2003 should be the only DC for that domain; if it is not it will restart every hour, then every 30 min.
    You will see no errors on the Event Viewer but you'll see info messages telling you when server is coming down.

+
    0 Votes
    dave

Sounds like a hardware issue. MS memory utility might not show errors but ram is defective anyway. I would just replace the ram to test. Use ECC ram for mission critical servers always. I have found defective processors do the same thing although not often. Replace power supply. The voltage levels may be dropping and check for any inoperable fans inside the case and for dust bunnies like other posters have mentioned. I say replace parts as opposed to testing them because tests does not always reveal problems. You might not find the problem in which case be prepared to migrate the app to another server. Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    dave

Not sure of the age of your server, but check the motherboard capacitors (beer can looking things) for any bulges or brownish weepage around the top of the capacitor. I haven't noticed this much lately on motherboards, but defective capacitors will cause stability issues.

+
    0 Votes
    ooliya

i had the same problem and in my case it was the UPS.

+
    0 Votes
    salim

I replaced the motherboard and fixed the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    mbyers

Your original post was about a month ago. Have you figured out the cause? If so what was it?

• +
    0 Votes
    aaalvh

I got a reboot daily (not so frequent) du to the power default. Even green light on the mother board and network card seems OK. Try to change the main alimentation (low cost test around 60 us$ on my HP server and 5 minutes works).

+
    0 Votes
    crwjoe

If the os is SMB 2003 then you have to set it up as a domin. I have ran into this issue before. SMB will keep rebooting every 15 to 30 minutes.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    cgomezmt

That happened to me while running Windows 2003 SBS and Windows Server 2003 on the same network both acting as DC for the same domain.
    Win SBS 2003 should be the only DC for that domain; if it is not it will restart every hour, then every 30 min.
    You will see no errors on the Event Viewer but you'll see info messages telling you when server is coming down.

+
    0 Votes
    dave

Sounds like a hardware issue. MS memory utility might not show errors but ram is defective anyway. I would just replace the ram to test. Use ECC ram for mission critical servers always. I have found defective processors do the same thing although not often. Replace power supply. The voltage levels may be dropping and check for any inoperable fans inside the case and for dust bunnies like other posters have mentioned. I say replace parts as opposed to testing them because tests does not always reveal problems. You might not find the problem in which case be prepared to migrate the app to another server. Good luck.

+
    0 Votes
    dave

Not sure of the age of your server, but check the motherboard capacitors (beer can looking things) for any bulges or brownish weepage around the top of the capacitor. I haven't noticed this much lately on motherboards, but defective capacitors will cause stability issues.

+
    0 Votes
    ooliya

i had the same problem and in my case it was the UPS.

+
    0 Votes
    salim

I replaced the motherboard and fixed the problem.

+
    0 Votes
    mbyers

Your original post was about a month ago. Have you figured out the cause? If so what was it?