Questions

Windows server 2008 is not connected with the internet

+
0 Votes

Windows server 2008 is not connected with the internet

Prabup
Hi I have a windows server 2008 which is acting as the only DNS and DC in my network. But the server is not connected to the internet. So that im using the public DNS servers in all the client machines.

Servers TCP/IP:
IP:192.168.x.200
subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.x. 400(The IP address of the modem provided by ISP)
Primary DNS:192.168.x.200(I just pointed to itself)

Client Machines Tcp/IP:

IP:192.168.x.x
subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.x. 400(The IP address of the modem provided by ISP)
Primary DNS: Public DNS Provided by ISP

If i point the client machines to my local DNS the client machines are not connected with the internet.
Im just a beginner. Can any one help me out of this.

Regards,
Prabu.
  • +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

primary would be your local DNS
    secondary would be your ISP

or verify that your local DNS server will forward unresolved queries to root hint servers. It's in the text books for configuring DNS on Windows Server.

note: enhanced Internet Explorer security is enabled by default on Windows server. This means that if you open a browser on the server, you will get the enhanced IE security web page. This does not mean your server will not forwarded unresolved queries to root hint servers.

+
    0 Votes
    Prabup

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay.

The problem is my server 2008 is not connected with the internet even if i point it to the internet even if i point it to public DNS servers. The same configuration works fine in Windows 7.

I am aware of the enhanced IE security, even the ping request fails in server if i ping public ip address.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Prabu.

• +
    0 Votes
    CG IT

primary would be your local DNS
    secondary would be your ISP

or verify that your local DNS server will forward unresolved queries to root hint servers. It's in the text books for configuring DNS on Windows Server.

note: enhanced Internet Explorer security is enabled by default on Windows server. This means that if you open a browser on the server, you will get the enhanced IE security web page. This does not mean your server will not forwarded unresolved queries to root hint servers.

+
    0 Votes
    Prabup

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay.

The problem is my server 2008 is not connected with the internet even if i point it to the internet even if i point it to public DNS servers. The same configuration works fine in Windows 7.

I am aware of the enhanced IE security, even the ping request fails in server if i ping public ip address.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Prabu.