Questions

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

+
0 Votes

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard

pamwarren
Can Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard be setup in a workgroup environment acting mainly as a file server?
  • +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Windows Servers since 2003 R2 have all been Domain Only or at least the ones that i have worked with.

Though to be perfectly honest I don't use the Base Versions of them.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    LoganMcIntosh

It can, but in a workgroup environment you will need to create local user accounts on the 2008 Server for all users

+
    0 Votes

Yes

JPElectron

Just don't install any Active Directory components...

You'll end up making each user account on both the server, and the user's workstation, and realize the two are not in-sync, meaning if the user changes their password on their workstation -and does not contact you to change their account password on the server, then they won't be able to access network shares because the logon will fail.

If you don't intend to setup Active Directory and are going to do file sharing via workgroup only, then why the expense of Server 2008, a machine running Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 would do just as well.

• +
    0 Votes
    OH Smeg

Windows Servers since 2003 R2 have all been Domain Only or at least the ones that i have worked with.

Though to be perfectly honest I don't use the Base Versions of them.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    LoganMcIntosh

It can, but in a workgroup environment you will need to create local user accounts on the 2008 Server for all users

+
    0 Votes

Yes

JPElectron

Just don't install any Active Directory components...

You'll end up making each user account on both the server, and the user's workstation, and realize the two are not in-sync, meaning if the user changes their password on their workstation -and does not contact you to change their account password on the server, then they won't be able to access network shares because the logon will fail.

If you don't intend to setup Active Directory and are going to do file sharing via workgroup only, then why the expense of Server 2008, a machine running Windows XP SP3 or Windows 7 would do just as well.