Questions

WinXPPro - Problems Joining a Windows Server 2003 Domain

Tags:
+
0 Votes

WinXPPro - Problems Joining a Windows Server 2003 Domain

mandocia
Hello, I have just installed a 2003 Server Enterprise Edition (Evaluation Version) on one of my older 1.8 gig systems. I have installed DNS and Active Directory, with nothing else as of yet. I have not added anything into Active Directory other than a user. When I try to connect to this domain from a computer within the same network running XP Pro SP2, I get the following error after I input my username and password:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain "XXXXXXXXXXXX"

(The XXXXX's are in place of the domain name)

The format of the specified network name is invalid

On the windows xp computer, I have set it's DNS settings to the DNS server on the win 2003 box, and the DNS works. I googled this but nothing so far has helped. I also tried to create a new user account, thinking the administrator account was messed up, no luck there.

Also, this occurs for another computer on the network running the same OS, so this occurs for 2 separate computers with the same error messages. Each computer name is only about 10 characters, no spaces or strange characters, only numbers.

Any help would be great, as I cannot figure out why this is occurring. I am new at this, so I am not sure where else to look. Thanks.

Daminious
  • +
    0 Votes
    Toivo Talikka

Are you sure you have not used for example the underscore character in one of the names, like the name of the server, the domain or the computer?

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Nope, I have not used any special characters.

These are the names I am using:

2003 Server - mdpserver001

XP Desktop - mdpserver002

XP Notebook - mainnotebook

I have no spaces, just the names as you see them.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

the error code your getting is saying that either the netbios name you use or the domain name your using isn't correct [format]

so using the domain name would be <domain name>.com [if you used .local, you must use .local]

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I am using a real domain name, and I am putting that into my join domain request on the windows box.

The domain name is as follows:

daminious.net

Now, it is a real world domain name, would that cause the problem? If I put in the netbios name of daminious, it does not find the domain controller, but if I do put in daminious.net, it finds it and asks for a username and password to join the domain, but fails with the name error.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

have to be a member of the admin security group to join the domain.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I have used the Administrator account with the password to try to join the domain, it does not work.

I also cloned the Administrator account and named it different and tried that, did not work as well.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

On the server, right click My Computer, and click the Computer Name tab. What does it show for Full computer name: and Domain:?

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Here is the Computer Name for the Server:

mdpserver001.daminious.net

Domain name:

daminious.net

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

I was totally puzzled... but a little searching turned up some possible answers. Were the client machines attached to a different domain? Also, are you using static IPs or DHCP. Check out this link....

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21034618.html

One other thing to try... open up the Active Directory Users and Computers on the server and check what is listed under Computers and Domain Controllers. Especially check that there aren't duplicate names lurking about.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

My notebook computer was at one time connected to another domain for testing, however that was sometime ago. My other desktop with windows xp has never been on a domain, and both have the same error message.

My server has a static IP that corresponds to my ISP's DNS settings. My desktops are on automatic for DHCP, and get these settings from my router. My 2003 server does not have DHCP installed.

When I open up Active Directory, under computers I have nothing listed. For domain controller, I have my 2003 server listed.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

blame DNS. Check out htis posting, sounds like what you're up against. Definitely check if the server can 'resolve' itself using DNS.

http://www.braingia.org/webnotes/index.php?p=111&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

+
    0 Votes

DNS

mandocia

I went into the DNS server and looked at the event log, but did not notice any errors. I tried to connect to the domain again and see if an error message would result, but I got none.

Being I am new at this, how do I check and see if the DNS server is resolving itself, and what is the hits posting? Thanks.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    Toivo Talikka

You say that the server's IP corresponds to your ISP's DNS settings. Because your server is presumably in the LAN and not exposed to the internet, inside the LAN it has to have a private IP address, for example in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

When you use the word 'corresponds', the only correspondence I can see is that your ISP's DNS records point your domain name to the public IP address of the router which is in your premises. The public IP address is not the same as your server's IP address in your internal network. Your router should forward the packets from outside meant for your server via the public IP address to the internal IP address of your server.

The PCs in the LAN must be in the same subnet with your server, for example 192.168.1.0/24.

If your router dishes out the dynamic IP addresses, make sure that the internet IP address allocated for the Windows Server 2003 is safely outside the range of addresses allocated by the DHCP server in the router.

+
    0 Votes
    fwang

as title.

good luck!

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I installed WINS, and the server says responding, but when I tried to log into the domain again, same error.

Is there anything I need to do once I install WINS?

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Here is the IP Address settings for my server:

IP Address: 192.168.1.190
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.3
    DNS Servers: 127.0.0.1
    NetBIOS over TCP/Ip: Disabled

IP Address of Desktop:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: daminious.net
    IP Address: 192.168.1.102
    DHCP Server: 192.168.1.3
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.190

I do need to change my Server's IP Address to be in a different range, as being the router's DHCP lists from 100-199, and 190 is within it, however no other systems at present are trying to use 190.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    fwang

I didn't see WINS in your ip configuration. Try to set WINS to 192.168.1.190.

Network Connections => Local Area Connection => Properties => Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) => Properties => General: Advanced... => WINS => Add: 192.168.1.190 => OK, OK, Close

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if this is a AD DC, then you have to point it to itself. use the server address 192.168.1.190 for DNS in the server's NIC address property pages not the loopback address 127.0.0.1.

and you don't need WINS installed nor do you need NetBios over TCP/IP enabled.

your running Windows Server 2003 Active Directory which if you don't have any pre W2K desktops or servers or Unix which needs WINS to resolve computer names, you can run in a pure TCP/IP environment.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I cannot WINS to function, it says it cannot find the network path for the server in the WINS control panel.

Also, I added in the DNS server to my server's TCP/IP, still nothing has helped.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

That's my best suggestion at this point.

Something is not right with DNS or how DNS is configured and how your server is configured. To try and troubleshoot what's wrong at this stage is just playing 20 questions.

I would dcpromo demote the server. then dcpromo promote the server to a DC letting the wizards install DNS and Active Directory for you.

Note: the DC should have a static IP address and for DNS, you should always point the server to itself [DNS address is the DC servers IP address not loopback]. I would also recommend that you do NOT use the .com/net/org for the domain name rather use .local extension for the domain name.

+
    0 Votes
    simplebob

I had the same thing happening to me here at work. I went into the TCP/IP settings and clicked advanced from there click on the WINS tab and make sure that under NetBIOS setting the radio button is on Default.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

Click on start>run and type in cmd
    at the command prompt, type in nslookup.
    at the> type in the full name of your domain
    server.domain.net and press enter
    if your active directory has been successfully linked to your dns services, you should get back your servers ip address. When you said at the first post you have installed DNS and Active Directory, did you set up DNS to just be DNS services(we know the dns services work from your client out to the world)? One part of the install is to say this machine is your Primary Domain Controller, in which case you'll need DNS joined(integrated) to Active Directory.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

When I try the above, I get the following error:

Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.4: non-existent domain

Default Server: Unknown

Address: 192.168.1.4

I reformatted the computer and started over, I still have the same problem, and it seems I am not connected to AD. How do I go about doing so?

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I started over, yet again, time time I installed the DNS server first then installed Active Directory.

When I installed active directory, it found my DNS server and installed correctly.

I am even able to ping my dns address and get a result, so it seems DNS is working.

This time on the client machine I used the Network Identification Wizard, within it I got to the screen where you put in your username, password, and domain. When I did it told me it found a username matching what I put in, but for the daminious domain, not the daminious.local

When I tried that, I got DNS errors because DNS is looking for Daminious.local.

Daminious is the NETBIOS name, so I am wondering if the server is being confused.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I have found and fixed the problem.

As sad, and as annoyed most of you will be, the problem was my poor choice in software.

In other words, I used a fixed version of 2003 server. I was using a version that was cracked to give a year instead of 6 months. I felt that would give me enough time to really learn it.

I decided today that may be the problem, and got the official software from microsoft. It worked without any problems at all. I was able to join the domain, and now I can learn the system and how to build it.

Thus, the moral of the story is: if you want to waste 40-50 hours of your time and be a moron while doing so, use a cracked version. If you want to be smart and do it right, use the official one.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

grrrrrrrrrrrrr you had me going there, sonny! How 'bout throwing some points and a few thank you, your suggestions helped ratings to a few here that stood by ya! ;-)

+
    0 Votes
    g.shahab

Dear, just match 'time and location' of your server and cleint end both side and then go for domain joining.....

• +
    0 Votes
    Toivo Talikka

Are you sure you have not used for example the underscore character in one of the names, like the name of the server, the domain or the computer?

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Nope, I have not used any special characters.

These are the names I am using:

2003 Server - mdpserver001

XP Desktop - mdpserver002

XP Notebook - mainnotebook

I have no spaces, just the names as you see them.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

the error code your getting is saying that either the netbios name you use or the domain name your using isn't correct [format]

so using the domain name would be <domain name>.com [if you used .local, you must use .local]

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I am using a real domain name, and I am putting that into my join domain request on the windows box.

The domain name is as follows:

daminious.net

Now, it is a real world domain name, would that cause the problem? If I put in the netbios name of daminious, it does not find the domain controller, but if I do put in daminious.net, it finds it and asks for a username and password to join the domain, but fails with the name error.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

have to be a member of the admin security group to join the domain.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I have used the Administrator account with the password to try to join the domain, it does not work.

I also cloned the Administrator account and named it different and tried that, did not work as well.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

On the server, right click My Computer, and click the Computer Name tab. What does it show for Full computer name: and Domain:?

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Here is the Computer Name for the Server:

mdpserver001.daminious.net

Domain name:

daminious.net

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

I was totally puzzled... but a little searching turned up some possible answers. Were the client machines attached to a different domain? Also, are you using static IPs or DHCP. Check out this link....

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Q_21034618.html

One other thing to try... open up the Active Directory Users and Computers on the server and check what is listed under Computers and Domain Controllers. Especially check that there aren't duplicate names lurking about.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

My notebook computer was at one time connected to another domain for testing, however that was sometime ago. My other desktop with windows xp has never been on a domain, and both have the same error message.

My server has a static IP that corresponds to my ISP's DNS settings. My desktops are on automatic for DHCP, and get these settings from my router. My 2003 server does not have DHCP installed.

When I open up Active Directory, under computers I have nothing listed. For domain controller, I have my 2003 server listed.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

blame DNS. Check out htis posting, sounds like what you're up against. Definitely check if the server can 'resolve' itself using DNS.

http://www.braingia.org/webnotes/index.php?p=111&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

+
    0 Votes

DNS

mandocia

I went into the DNS server and looked at the event log, but did not notice any errors. I tried to connect to the domain again and see if an error message would result, but I got none.

Being I am new at this, how do I check and see if the DNS server is resolving itself, and what is the hits posting? Thanks.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    Toivo Talikka

You say that the server's IP corresponds to your ISP's DNS settings. Because your server is presumably in the LAN and not exposed to the internet, inside the LAN it has to have a private IP address, for example in the subnet 192.168.1.0/24.

When you use the word 'corresponds', the only correspondence I can see is that your ISP's DNS records point your domain name to the public IP address of the router which is in your premises. The public IP address is not the same as your server's IP address in your internal network. Your router should forward the packets from outside meant for your server via the public IP address to the internal IP address of your server.

The PCs in the LAN must be in the same subnet with your server, for example 192.168.1.0/24.

If your router dishes out the dynamic IP addresses, make sure that the internet IP address allocated for the Windows Server 2003 is safely outside the range of addresses allocated by the DHCP server in the router.

+
    0 Votes
    fwang

as title.

good luck!

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I installed WINS, and the server says responding, but when I tried to log into the domain again, same error.

Is there anything I need to do once I install WINS?

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

Here is the IP Address settings for my server:

IP Address: 192.168.1.190
    DNS Servers: 127.0.0.1
    NetBIOS over TCP/Ip: Disabled

IP Address of Desktop:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix: daminious.net
    IP Address: 192.168.1.102
    DHCP Server: 192.168.1.3
    DNS Server: 192.168.1.190

I do need to change my Server's IP Address to be in a different range, as being the router's DHCP lists from 100-199, and 190 is within it, however no other systems at present are trying to use 190.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    fwang

I didn't see WINS in your ip configuration. Try to set WINS to 192.168.1.190.

Network Connections => Local Area Connection => Properties => Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) => Properties => General: Advanced... => WINS => Add: 192.168.1.190 => OK, OK, Close

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

if this is a AD DC, then you have to point it to itself. use the server address 192.168.1.190 for DNS in the server's NIC address property pages not the loopback address 127.0.0.1.

and you don't need WINS installed nor do you need NetBios over TCP/IP enabled.

your running Windows Server 2003 Active Directory which if you don't have any pre W2K desktops or servers or Unix which needs WINS to resolve computer names, you can run in a pure TCP/IP environment.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I cannot WINS to function, it says it cannot find the network path for the server in the WINS control panel.

Also, I added in the DNS server to my server's TCP/IP, still nothing has helped.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    CG IT

That's my best suggestion at this point.

Something is not right with DNS or how DNS is configured and how your server is configured. To try and troubleshoot what's wrong at this stage is just playing 20 questions.

I would dcpromo demote the server. then dcpromo promote the server to a DC letting the wizards install DNS and Active Directory for you.

Note: the DC should have a static IP address and for DNS, you should always point the server to itself [DNS address is the DC servers IP address not loopback]. I would also recommend that you do NOT use the .com/net/org for the domain name rather use .local extension for the domain name.

+
    0 Votes
    simplebob

I had the same thing happening to me here at work. I went into the TCP/IP settings and clicked advanced from there click on the WINS tab and make sure that under NetBIOS setting the radio button is on Default.

Hope that helps.

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

Click on start>run and type in cmd
    at the command prompt, type in nslookup.
    at the> type in the full name of your domain
    server.domain.net and press enter
    if your active directory has been successfully linked to your dns services, you should get back your servers ip address. When you said at the first post you have installed DNS and Active Directory, did you set up DNS to just be DNS services(we know the dns services work from your client out to the world)? One part of the install is to say this machine is your Primary Domain Controller, in which case you'll need DNS joined(integrated) to Active Directory.

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

When I try the above, I get the following error:

Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.4: non-existent domain

Default Server: Unknown

Address: 192.168.1.4

I reformatted the computer and started over, I still have the same problem, and it seems I am not connected to AD. How do I go about doing so?

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I started over, yet again, time time I installed the DNS server first then installed Active Directory.

When I installed active directory, it found my DNS server and installed correctly.

I am even able to ping my dns address and get a result, so it seems DNS is working.

This time on the client machine I used the Network Identification Wizard, within it I got to the screen where you put in your username, password, and domain. When I did it told me it found a username matching what I put in, but for the daminious domain, not the daminious.local

When I tried that, I got DNS errors because DNS is looking for Daminious.local.

Daminious is the NETBIOS name, so I am wondering if the server is being confused.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    mandocia

I have found and fixed the problem.

As sad, and as annoyed most of you will be, the problem was my poor choice in software.

In other words, I used a fixed version of 2003 server. I was using a version that was cracked to give a year instead of 6 months. I felt that would give me enough time to really learn it.

I decided today that may be the problem, and got the official software from microsoft. It worked without any problems at all. I was able to join the domain, and now I can learn the system and how to build it.

Thus, the moral of the story is: if you want to waste 40-50 hours of your time and be a moron while doing so, use a cracked version. If you want to be smart and do it right, use the official one.

Daminious

+
    0 Votes
    XT John

grrrrrrrrrrrrr you had me going there, sonny! How 'bout throwing some points and a few thank you, your suggestions helped ratings to a few here that stood by ya! ;-)

+
    0 Votes
    g.shahab

Dear, just match 'time and location' of your server and cleint end both side and then go for domain joining.....