Questions

Wireless users can't get IP address from SBS 2003

Tags:
+
0 Votes

Wireless users can't get IP address from SBS 2003

andy.monnin
We are using SBS 2003 and have 7 PC?s joined to the server. The other five PC?s sit on a subnet outside the server. SBS is the DHCP server and a Belkin wireless router (DHCP turned off) is the WAN, wireless acccess point and firewall. The router is protected by a password.

All the PC's that have a wired connection work are able to get an IP address just fine. Laptop users are alos able to get one if they connect through a cable.

Now here?s where it gets interesting.
We have three laptop users who come in and get on the subnet not joined to the server. They can get on the wireless access point but it?s not pretty. The wireless PC?s automatically detect the Belkin Wireless Access Point/Firewall and start to connect but get stuck while ?acquiring a network address?. However when we manually power down the Belkin router and then power it back up the wireless systems connect and they then get an IP address!

When I go into the server DHCP dialog box it shows that they are connected and it shows them with an IP address lease as it should. The burning question: why do we have to cycle the router for them to get an IP address? (note: all three of the wireless PC?s have the correct password in them).

We have two other laptops, one of which is connected to the server, that can get onto the server through the hardwired connection but can?t get an IP address through the wireless point - even when we power down/power on the router. When you go into the wireless dialog box it where it should show the IP address for the network card ( and the PC ) it?s blank.
I?m pretty confident it?s an IP problem between the Belkin Router and the SBS DHCP add-in but that?s where my wisdom ends.
Thanks for your help!
  • +
    0 Votes
    robm

I Had trouble with a VISTA Broadcom 802.11b laptop connectiong to a D-Link WBR-1310 Revd Firm 4 then connected to a Linksys router then to the cable modem.
    The WBR was set for no DHCP and other XP laptops could connect without incedent.
    I could connect the Laptop Radio to the WBR radio (WEP128 etc. but it would not get an IP (only 169.x.x.x) and other network devices (wired and wireless ) would begin to fail????

I turned off the UPnP in the WBR and Vista got an IP and life is good again.

Now, I am no expert on UPnP but apprently there is more "functionality" with UPnP in vista - so I <i>assume<i> that Vista was messing about with my WBR - trying to turn it back in to a router when all I want it for is a WAP and Hub.

Hope this helps . . .
    (Dont compute with fruit)

• +
    0 Votes
    robm

I Had trouble with a VISTA Broadcom 802.11b laptop connectiong to a D-Link WBR-1310 Revd Firm 4 then connected to a Linksys router then to the cable modem.
    The WBR was set for no DHCP and other XP laptops could connect without incedent.
    I could connect the Laptop Radio to the WBR radio (WEP128 etc. but it would not get an IP (only 169.x.x.x) and other network devices (wired and wireless ) would begin to fail????

I turned off the UPnP in the WBR and Vista got an IP and life is good again.

Now, I am no expert on UPnP but apprently there is more "functionality" with UPnP in vista - so I <i>assume<i> that Vista was messing about with my WBR - trying to turn it back in to a router when all I want it for is a WAP and Hub.

Hope this helps . . .
    (Dont compute with fruit)