Questions

Word 2000 document, missing pages when viewed in Word 2007

+
0 Votes

Word 2000 document, missing pages when viewed in Word 2007

matthew.leggett
Hi everyone

We are in the process of upgrdaing our users to the office 2007 environment. Until now the migration has been coming along rather well with minimal disruption to day to day business.

Currently we have a 60/40 split of office 2007/office 2000 respectively.

We have one file in particular that has been created and updated throughout the years in Word 2000. The file has some 275 pages and is of significant importance.

When the document is opened in Word 2007 be it the same location or a locally copied version, the document only shows 86 pages.

Understand this is not a forward but a backward compatibility issue, opening a 2000 document in 2007.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Matt
IT Support
  • +
    0 Votes
    BFilmFan

Go to an Office 2000 system and save the file as a PDF.

Open the PDF in Word 2007.

Does it now display the correct number of pages?

You are probably going to have to do some reformating work on the document. See http://www.dotnetcurry.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=114&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

+
    0 Votes
    matthew.leggett

Thanks very much for your help here.

I have created the PDF using our print to PDF facility. The file does open correctly on either desktop as expected. This i had clearly not originally thought of and has provided a short term solution to the problem, again many thanks.

I see where you are going with the reformatting of the docuemnt but sadly it does not appear to be as simple as the incorrect margins etc? Unless i am missing the point with that link in which case please correct me. Bear in mind the file is 275 pages long which now appears as 86, quite the comparison.

• +
    0 Votes
    BFilmFan

Go to an Office 2000 system and save the file as a PDF.

Open the PDF in Word 2007.

Does it now display the correct number of pages?

You are probably going to have to do some reformating work on the document. See http://www.dotnetcurry.com/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=114&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

+
    0 Votes
    matthew.leggett

Thanks very much for your help here.

I have created the PDF using our print to PDF facility. The file does open correctly on either desktop as expected. This i had clearly not originally thought of and has provided a short term solution to the problem, again many thanks.

I see where you are going with the reformatting of the docuemnt but sadly it does not appear to be as simple as the incorrect margins etc? Unless i am missing the point with that link in which case please correct me. Bear in mind the file is 275 pages long which now appears as 86, quite the comparison.