Questions

Word 2003 attachments in Vista Windows Mail

+
0 Votes

Word 2003 attachments in Vista Windows Mail

Also Ran
Hi,

I don't seem to be able to launch word 2003 attachments from Windows Mail in Vista (Basic).
When I try I get a message that tells me to associate the application. Checked that and word documents are associated with .doc. Its driving me up the wall having to save the document first before reading it. What have I missed?

All the best.
  • +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

From the Windows Kernel so you need to associate the application with the Outlook program so that you can open directly from the Application and not need to save to the HDD and open from within Word in this case.

You need to associate Word with Outlook not just allow the .DOC format to be used.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Also Ran

Hi Hal

Interesting thought I'll have a look at that. Do you think this applies to Windows Mail as well? I'm still very new to Vista. In this case I don't want to use outlook.

All the best

+
    0 Votes

Yes

HAL 9000 Moderator

It most defiantly does as Vista has been a new design from the ground up to be secure to a point anyway.

Currently as much as possible is removed from the Vista Kernel as possible.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    giulio

Sorry I'm new to this. How exactly do I do this on Windows mail. I'm running Windows Vista premium

Giulio

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Person to ask as I'm currently refusing to support Vista because of all the problems associated with it.

However M$ runs a Vista Users Community where they should be able to answer your questions or if there is no workaround can start to work in Code Improvements to cure built in problems.

http://tinyurl.com/yt8adb

Col

+
    0 Votes
    giulio

Finally got it working. Had to take it back to where I purchased the machine. After 4 days it was discovered that Office 97 had corrupted the Windows Mail file. The only solution was to wipe the computer and start again. Trust Microsoft to make a operating system that is not compatible with older versions of it's software. Oh well Live and Learn

Giulio

• +
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

From the Windows Kernel so you need to associate the application with the Outlook program so that you can open directly from the Application and not need to save to the HDD and open from within Word in this case.

You need to associate Word with Outlook not just allow the .DOC format to be used.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    Also Ran

Hi Hal

Interesting thought I'll have a look at that. Do you think this applies to Windows Mail as well? I'm still very new to Vista. In this case I don't want to use outlook.

All the best

+
    0 Votes

Yes

HAL 9000 Moderator

It most defiantly does as Vista has been a new design from the ground up to be secure to a point anyway.

Currently as much as possible is removed from the Vista Kernel as possible.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    giulio

Sorry I'm new to this. How exactly do I do this on Windows mail. I'm running Windows Vista premium

Giulio

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

Person to ask as I'm currently refusing to support Vista because of all the problems associated with it.

However M$ runs a Vista Users Community where they should be able to answer your questions or if there is no workaround can start to work in Code Improvements to cure built in problems.

http://tinyurl.com/yt8adb

Col

+
    0 Votes
    giulio

Finally got it working. Had to take it back to where I purchased the machine. After 4 days it was discovered that Office 97 had corrupted the Windows Mail file. The only solution was to wipe the computer and start again. Trust Microsoft to make a operating system that is not compatible with older versions of it's software. Oh well Live and Learn

Giulio