Questions

Answer for:

XP to Mandriva

Message 14 of 15

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
Neon Samurai

My distro or OS in general depends on the use.

My PDA includes partitions for the clean factory current OS version, the current OS version with all my other crap loaded on top and, my previous version install at it's last point before upgrading. (If my current install chews or I need a dropped function, I have the older version. If I need to rebuild my current version or need a system rescue, I have the clean current partition. Huray for partitioned SDHC.)

Desktop, Quick Install or VM.. probably Mandriva Free unless the VM is for a specific OS. It remains my Default distribution until there is a reason to prefer something else.

Mandriva One is my usual liveCD if I'm just booting hardware to take a look or use without touching the owner's data.

Computer crysis or related issue; system rescue, gparted, partedmagic, supergrub, Mandriva One, knoppix, Damn Small Linux, Puppy.

Damn Vulnerable Linux, described as "a curruption of a Linux based distribution", provides lots of learning and fun when paired with my favorite security auditing distribution.

I have a few tools and toys that are Windows only but I accommodate those easily also.

Sadly, if it's gaming, it's probably Windows I'm booted into. With a new GPU, I'll be exploring the game offerings native too *nix including FPS and flight sims. For now though, the blockbuster games are published for MS only. I'm investigating DX10 alternatives since Assasin's Creed, Crysis, MS Flight and some other's are also on my todo list. I may have to give-in and buy Vista for the only thing it was intended to do well; video gaming.

(I collect OS like "normal" people collect hockey cards. I would love to add Vista Ultimate to my OS collection but the license cost does not justify a hobby item purchase; my functional needs outside of DX9/DX10 are supported better elsewhere.)

Glad that you've taken too it though. I've long since lost count of how many blissfull hours I've wasted exploring new OS and software. Hopefully your sound issues work out as you now have the sum of my limited sound support knowledge. If mucking with software is your thing though, dig into VMware or whatever virtualization option you prefer; you just can't beat doing a full install on a whim to check out some obscure setting or software while being able to **** it away or restore a functional snapshot when it breaks.