Watercooler

PC or Mac?

Tags:
+
0 Votes

PC or Mac?

gnb18
This is the biggest question raised all the time what are people's personal opinions on this big debate?
  • +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

Then, I tell them to buy a Mac. Usually by this point the user already thinks Macs are invincible and don't want support anyways.
    If they are unsure, I ask them how much they want to spend, what applications they want to run, and how long they want the computer to last.

Most of the time, I recommend a PC because usually the people that ask me are bargain hunters.
    However, if they already have other "i" devices I usually recommend Mac.

If they plan to just to play facebook games and such, I usually recommend Mint and a cheap PC.

+
    0 Votes
    gnb18

I would like to invest in a computer that is going to last me along time. I don't mind making a big investment as long as the computer will last a fair amount of years. The computer I want needs to be able to run a fair amount of programs as well. The computer would be used for coding, movie making, photo altering, design work and basically as many things as i can use it for.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

And whether or not they are platform specific?

Remember, you can't legally install OSX on a PC. But you can install Windows on Apple hardware. So if you require dual booting, I would recommend buying a Mac.

+
    0 Votes
    gnb18

I had heard of bootcamp that can be run on mac's, but i wasn't sure if it was just for desktops or if you could put it on the mac laptops too. I have also been researching weather to get a macbook pro or a macbook air? That is if I decide to go with mac. I thought about alien ware for pc, but some people say those aren't as good.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

The air isn't a long performing machine.

Personally, I always Frankenstein my computers. Though my G74sx is freaken awesome laptop.
    http://ca.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

My desktop is dated by todays standards, but still manages to play todays modern games with good framerates. Its an AMD 4800 that OC's itself to about 5200. A Geforce 9600 GT. 3 GB of Ram single channel (duel channel refuses to work right ) XP 32 bit. Sound Blaster live 24bit. And 2 IDE hard drives, a 120gig as primary, dates 2003, and a 320 gig as secondary, dated 2005. I also have 2 IDE CD/DVD drives, one of them is a burner. I have a cheap 5 dollar RAID controller that I use for IDE expansion

The only game I have right now that causes the machine to cripple under the pressure is X3 and those Terran stations. (And SETA ruins frame rate)
    I built this desktop for 400 dollars. I cant remember when, but it was a relatively long time ago. I think it was 2007...

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

Don't make a hardware / operating system decision until you decide what applications you are going to run. Pick the platform that natively supports all or most of your desired apps.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

A few weeks ago a client who loves i Products needed a new NB after his 5 year old MSI died finally.

I quoted him $1400.00 + Software for a PC i7 with 8 GIG of RAM and $2800.00 AU + Software for a Mac.

He chose the PC. and even though it has Windows 7 on it he loves it.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

I have this special nack for breaking things, I call it my Chaos Aura, but Win7 doesn't fall over very easily, so it's probably not going to cause any big headaches for normal users.
    If MS had gone straight from XP to Win7, they'd have gotten rid of all the bad rep they got from the WinME fiasco.
    But they just had to push out another gimp OS in between

+
    0 Votes
    cmiller5400

They have to make money to continue building their coffers

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

This place had a slight disagreement with a M$ Rep that I sent there over Vista.

Something about sicking the dog onto the guy from M$ and I was told that if I ever brought anything relating to Vista there I was in for a world of Hurt.

Things got so bad that I had to remove any Vista/7 Ready stickers from any new hardware.

And he has found one or two issues. Things like opening Thumbnails of Camera Pictures and then you can not copy and Paste to the NB. I can understand him as the native way of showing the Camera/Memory Card Files is a Thumbnail JPG with a File Name which in this case is a number and no actual picture of what is actually there. When you have to move pictures to several different folders it's nice to be able to see what they are.

That's the big one he has a few others but they are really minor.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

Hopefully no anaphylactic shocks! :^0
    Or other shocks, like the one you get when you punch a hole through a live monitor

+
    0 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

got to a school and pick on a hall monitor, they hurt less, but watch out for their lawyer.

+
    1 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

If you want it for basic Internet and maybe word processing, then the PC is a lot cheaper, especially if you go the open source software route it's damn cheap. But if they're one of those who want proprietary software and want good software that does everything that you can do on a Mac, then a Mac desktop is cheaper than buying a PC with Windows and loading it up with all the extra software apps that a Mac has as the big jump in cost is the extra fancy software that comes standard on the Mac. If going the lots of software route another advantage the Mac has is it's less likely to need a rebuild and if it does it's a damn sight easier and quicker to do than a Windows system with all those apps.

Personally, I use a PC with Linux (Zorin OS 5 Premium set up with the Win Classic interface), Fire Fox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, VLC, and Gimp on a four year old system that outperforms my son's i7 with Win 7 Enterprise that has double the RAM I have. The apps I mentioned above are all I need, so I'm happy. I save a lot by not going MS Windows and a lot more by not going Mac, but I've re4commended by Windows and Macs to people based on what they want them for and the software they want.

+
    0 Votes
    Mary1010

It is up to the consumer to decide what his or her priorities are and choose the best system for the job. Using a Mac is better for people whose primary need is to be productive because of its quality default software coupled with its lower risk of infection. But, if you don't want to pay a lot of money for a computer you might want to buy a pc for doing that kind of stuff. But if you also want to play games you can get a lot of gaming and processing power with a pc.

• +
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

Then, I tell them to buy a Mac. Usually by this point the user already thinks Macs are invincible and don't want support anyways.
    If they are unsure, I ask them how much they want to spend, what applications they want to run, and how long they want the computer to last.

Most of the time, I recommend a PC because usually the people that ask me are bargain hunters.
    However, if they already have other "i" devices I usually recommend Mac.

If they plan to just to play facebook games and such, I usually recommend Mint and a cheap PC.

+
    0 Votes
    gnb18

I would like to invest in a computer that is going to last me along time. I don't mind making a big investment as long as the computer will last a fair amount of years. The computer I want needs to be able to run a fair amount of programs as well. The computer would be used for coding, movie making, photo altering, design work and basically as many things as i can use it for.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

And whether or not they are platform specific?

Remember, you can't legally install OSX on a PC. But you can install Windows on Apple hardware. So if you require dual booting, I would recommend buying a Mac.

+
    0 Votes
    gnb18

I had heard of bootcamp that can be run on mac's, but i wasn't sure if it was just for desktops or if you could put it on the mac laptops too. I have also been researching weather to get a macbook pro or a macbook air? That is if I decide to go with mac. I thought about alien ware for pc, but some people say those aren't as good.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

The air isn't a long performing machine.

Personally, I always Frankenstein my computers. Though my G74sx is freaken awesome laptop.
    http://ca.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/

My desktop is dated by todays standards, but still manages to play todays modern games with good framerates. Its an AMD 4800 that OC's itself to about 5200. A Geforce 9600 GT. 3 GB of Ram single channel (duel channel refuses to work right ) XP 32 bit. Sound Blaster live 24bit. And 2 IDE hard drives, a 120gig as primary, dates 2003, and a 320 gig as secondary, dated 2005. I also have 2 IDE CD/DVD drives, one of them is a burner. I have a cheap 5 dollar RAID controller that I use for IDE expansion

The only game I have right now that causes the machine to cripple under the pressure is X3 and those Terran stations. (And SETA ruins frame rate)
    I built this desktop for 400 dollars. I cant remember when, but it was a relatively long time ago. I think it was 2007...

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

Don't make a hardware / operating system decision until you decide what applications you are going to run. Pick the platform that natively supports all or most of your desired apps.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

A few weeks ago a client who loves i Products needed a new NB after his 5 year old MSI died finally.

I quoted him $1400.00 + Software for a PC i7 with 8 GIG of RAM and $2800.00 AU + Software for a Mac.

He chose the PC. and even though it has Windows 7 on it he loves it.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

I have this special nack for breaking things, I call it my Chaos Aura, but Win7 doesn't fall over very easily, so it's probably not going to cause any big headaches for normal users.
    If MS had gone straight from XP to Win7, they'd have gotten rid of all the bad rep they got from the WinME fiasco.
    But they just had to push out another gimp OS in between

+
    0 Votes
    cmiller5400

They have to make money to continue building their coffers

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

This place had a slight disagreement with a M$ Rep that I sent there over Vista.

Something about sicking the dog onto the guy from M$ and I was told that if I ever brought anything relating to Vista there I was in for a world of Hurt.

Things got so bad that I had to remove any Vista/7 Ready stickers from any new hardware.

And he has found one or two issues. Things like opening Thumbnails of Camera Pictures and then you can not copy and Paste to the NB. I can understand him as the native way of showing the Camera/Memory Card Files is a Thumbnail JPG with a File Name which in this case is a number and no actual picture of what is actually there. When you have to move pictures to several different folders it's nice to be able to see what they are.

That's the big one he has a few others but they are really minor.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

Hopefully no anaphylactic shocks! :^0
    Or other shocks, like the one you get when you punch a hole through a live monitor

+
    0 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

got to a school and pick on a hall monitor, they hurt less, but watch out for their lawyer.

+
    1 Votes
    Deadly Ernest

If you want it for basic Internet and maybe word processing, then the PC is a lot cheaper, especially if you go the open source software route it's damn cheap. But if they're one of those who want proprietary software and want good software that does everything that you can do on a Mac, then a Mac desktop is cheaper than buying a PC with Windows and loading it up with all the extra software apps that a Mac has as the big jump in cost is the extra fancy software that comes standard on the Mac. If going the lots of software route another advantage the Mac has is it's less likely to need a rebuild and if it does it's a damn sight easier and quicker to do than a Windows system with all those apps.

Personally, I use a PC with Linux (Zorin OS 5 Premium set up with the Win Classic interface), Fire Fox, Thunderbird, Libre Office, VLC, and Gimp on a four year old system that outperforms my son's i7 with Win 7 Enterprise that has double the RAM I have. The apps I mentioned above are all I need, so I'm happy. I save a lot by not going MS Windows and a lot more by not going Mac, but I've re4commended by Windows and Macs to people based on what they want them for and the software they want.

+
    0 Votes
    Mary1010

It is up to the consumer to decide what his or her priorities are and choose the best system for the job. Using a Mac is better for people whose primary need is to be productive because of its quality default software coupled with its lower risk of infection. But, if you don't want to pay a lot of money for a computer you might want to buy a pc for doing that kind of stuff. But if you also want to play games you can get a lot of gaming and processing power with a pc.