Watercooler

Remove the '-1' vote option?

Tags:
+
2 Votes

Remove the '-1' vote option?

CharlieSpencer
Should the '-1' voting option be removed in the next site overhaul? Should '+1' be the only option?

I think the '-1' should be dropped. It's being overused by by people who systematically vote down anything they disagree with, no matter how well reasoned the poster presents his position. It doesn't require any response to indicate why the post was voted down, just that some unknown member didn't agree. It may be encouraging the creation of multiple accounts by a single user just for the purposes of repeatedly voting down a post.

It seemed like a good idea in early 2011, but it's time for it to join TR points and hosted blogs in the catalog of obsolete site features.
  • +
    0 Votes
    OurITLady

If you -1 a post you have to leave a comment or the -1 doesn't register? That way even if they don't fill in the field you'd at least be able to see who voted and call them on it.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

You should have to comment to downvote.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

but you can already post an opposition comment without having to downvote.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

We can tag anything that we think of as Spam with a Down Vote.

Of course if it meant that I had to place a post every time I down voted Pally it would give him some idea of who is constantly placing those -1 Votes.

Personally I do it just to get under his skin and drive him nuts. :^0

No not really I have better things to do with my time and I must say that it's very easy to accidentally click on a Down Vote when the page is loading. I find that the page jumps up enough during the loading to move it from a +1 to a -1 quite often.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    dogknees

We list the people who are doing the voting next to the Votes. Then we could ignore down votes by clowns.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

We already have the 'Flag' button for that. I've recently noticed that negative votes for spam remain added to the discussion total even after the spam is deleted. See the ever-popular 'Fix .PST' discussion; it has a total of 17 negative votes, greater than the number of votes visible in each post. Ah, synergy.

I have trouble with clicking before the page finishes loading, usually hitting the 'Start Discussion'. If I aim for the 'Last Modified' column title to resort before the page finishes, the topmost ad will push 'Start Discussion' under my cursor.

+
    0 Votes

But

dogknees

Flag doesn't show all those who down voted. The idea is that every down voter is automatically list next to the votes, regardless of whether they post.

Or am I missing something and there is already a way to find all who down voted and flag them?

+
    0 Votes
    dogknees

You can also currently down vote without posting. It should be mandatory to post if you down vote, not mandatory to vote if you post.

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

It's so last century.
    Also caters to the wrong attitude/people.

+
    0 Votes
    tcavadias Staff

We'd love to hear the opinions/suggestions of the downvoting :-)

Opinionate away ;-)

-Tammy [_]3

+
    0 Votes

well shucks, that would mean I wouldn't get any votes at all! Not to mention,
    it would render moot the point that Col makes in regards to the TR Community
    Scoreboard votes being listed as " - XX"...anyway, I say get rid of them.
    Most of the people that downvote a comment aren't brave enough to voice
    their reasons!
    I'm now going to sit back and count my down votes here! Hehe! :)

+
    0 Votes

why not do something to stop the innumerable zombie posts...sure, some of
    those old articles can and still do serve a useful purpose...but there is no
    point in allowing a new comment or reply to a thread that is some 5 or 6 years
    old. Close them after 6 months inactivity, close after 1 year of original posting.
    Just my opinion...yes, I know...that a a few $s will get me a latte at Starbucks...
    but we don't have a Starbucks, hehe!

+
    0 Votes
    tcavadias Staff

... I'm in for some Starbucks... when will you be deliverying? ;-)

Zombie posts noted :-)

+
    1 Votes
    maxwell edison

And there are plenty of them around here. I'm reminded of a recent vote-down for one of AV's perfectly legitimate messages - a very good one, in fact.

Just because it illustrated how utterly stupid a few people were being (and it was a very respectable message, by the way, as opposed to what I might have said).

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

On the other hand, I think it's funny that you think voting is less glitchy than posting...

+
    1 Votes
    maxwell edison

The whole thumbs-up thing was a ploy - yes, a ploy - to get rid of the old points system.

Quite a few people dedicated hundreds of legitimate hours earning the old TR points, but those who abused the points system were the ones who compelled TR to do away with it. Gee, punish the achievers because of the non-achievers. Sound familiar?

Then they (TR) converted the points to some number of "Thumbs Up".

That didn't last long, however, and they backed away from that, removing the accumulative (and earned) Thumbs Up - totally disregarding the contribution made by those "points earners", without whom, this site may not have even survived those early days.

Then came the bogus up and down vote.

Next will come taking that away. End of story.

The camel's nose theory in reverse, but certainly illustrating how those who really do contribute are punished for those who don't.

Just take away the whole recognition thing, TR. That was the goal from the beginning. And anyone who's been around here long enough - and has been paying attention - knows that to be true,

(Damn! And I need to jump through hoops just to post this message! I wonder which browser I should use this time? Another PITA TR glitch that can't seem to be fixed.)

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

If you're using Firefox, the site is incompatible with versions 18 or higher. The PTBs have filed a bug report. You can downgrade to 17.x; open the 'Flag', 'Reply', and other links in a new tab; or switch browsers.

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/103-401131

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

Even those pesky corporate web-apps that used to only take IE.
    I guess it might be supplanting IE as the one browser to get baseline compatibility for.
    Not the worst that could happen.

+
    1 Votes

to me it seems counter-intuitive to code your site to only 1 or 2
    rendering engines. If you have a web site, its purpose is to attract
    visitors...unless you have some sort of under-the-table deal where
    you receive something for promoting browser A over browsers B
    through Z.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

I didn't like Chrome the last time, but that was a couple of years ago. Back then there wasn't much customization possible on the toolbars and there was no RSS capability or plug-in. I'll see if it's changed to better suit my needs.

+
    0 Votes
    maxwell edison

I've used all the browsers, and I've had issues with them all. The most recent with Chrome was that my message did not initially post, stating that TR sent an email to confirm I was a real person, or whatever it needed to confirm. I had to shut it all down, reload my message, and it posted okay the second time around.

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

I don't get downvotes with no comments.
    I mean what's the point?
    This is a discussion forum isn't it?
    Saying that I'm not sure how upvotes add to it either (Points for questions is/should be a different thing).
    I see a load of pluses against one of my posts, that just means it's popular. If I cared about that, I'd go in to politics...

• +
    0 Votes
    OurITLady

If you -1 a post you have to leave a comment or the -1 doesn't register? That way even if they don't fill in the field you'd at least be able to see who voted and call them on it.

+
    0 Votes
    Slayer_

You should have to comment to downvote.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

but you can already post an opposition comment without having to downvote.

+
    0 Votes
    HAL 9000 Moderator

We can tag anything that we think of as Spam with a Down Vote.

Of course if it meant that I had to place a post every time I down voted Pally it would give him some idea of who is constantly placing those -1 Votes.

Personally I do it just to get under his skin and drive him nuts. :^0

No not really I have better things to do with my time and I must say that it's very easy to accidentally click on a Down Vote when the page is loading. I find that the page jumps up enough during the loading to move it from a +1 to a -1 quite often.

Col

+
    0 Votes
    dogknees

We list the people who are doing the voting next to the Votes. Then we could ignore down votes by clowns.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

We already have the 'Flag' button for that. I've recently noticed that negative votes for spam remain added to the discussion total even after the spam is deleted. See the ever-popular 'Fix .PST' discussion; it has a total of 17 negative votes, greater than the number of votes visible in each post. Ah, synergy.

I have trouble with clicking before the page finishes loading, usually hitting the 'Start Discussion'. If I aim for the 'Last Modified' column title to resort before the page finishes, the topmost ad will push 'Start Discussion' under my cursor.

+
    0 Votes

But

dogknees

Flag doesn't show all those who down voted. The idea is that every down voter is automatically list next to the votes, regardless of whether they post.

Or am I missing something and there is already a way to find all who down voted and flag them?

+
    0 Votes
    dogknees

You can also currently down vote without posting. It should be mandatory to post if you down vote, not mandatory to vote if you post.

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

It's so last century.
    Also caters to the wrong attitude/people.

+
    0 Votes
    tcavadias Staff

We'd love to hear the opinions/suggestions of the downvoting :-)

Opinionate away ;-)

-Tammy [_]3

+
    0 Votes

well shucks, that would mean I wouldn't get any votes at all! Not to mention,
    it would render moot the point that Col makes in regards to the TR Community
    Scoreboard votes being listed as " - XX"...anyway, I say get rid of them.
    Most of the people that downvote a comment aren't brave enough to voice
    their reasons!
    I'm now going to sit back and count my down votes here! Hehe! :)

+
    0 Votes

why not do something to stop the innumerable zombie posts...sure, some of
    those old articles can and still do serve a useful purpose...but there is no
    point in allowing a new comment or reply to a thread that is some 5 or 6 years
    old. Close them after 6 months inactivity, close after 1 year of original posting.
    Just my opinion...yes, I know...that a a few $s will get me a latte at Starbucks...
    but we don't have a Starbucks, hehe!

+
    0 Votes
    tcavadias Staff

... I'm in for some Starbucks... when will you be deliverying? ;-)

Zombie posts noted :-)

+
    1 Votes
    maxwell edison

And there are plenty of them around here. I'm reminded of a recent vote-down for one of AV's perfectly legitimate messages - a very good one, in fact.

Just because it illustrated how utterly stupid a few people were being (and it was a very respectable message, by the way, as opposed to what I might have said).

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

On the other hand, I think it's funny that you think voting is less glitchy than posting...

+
    1 Votes
    maxwell edison

The whole thumbs-up thing was a ploy - yes, a ploy - to get rid of the old points system.

Quite a few people dedicated hundreds of legitimate hours earning the old TR points, but those who abused the points system were the ones who compelled TR to do away with it. Gee, punish the achievers because of the non-achievers. Sound familiar?

Then they (TR) converted the points to some number of "Thumbs Up".

That didn't last long, however, and they backed away from that, removing the accumulative (and earned) Thumbs Up - totally disregarding the contribution made by those "points earners", without whom, this site may not have even survived those early days.

Then came the bogus up and down vote.

Next will come taking that away. End of story.

The camel's nose theory in reverse, but certainly illustrating how those who really do contribute are punished for those who don't.

Just take away the whole recognition thing, TR. That was the goal from the beginning. And anyone who's been around here long enough - and has been paying attention - knows that to be true,

(Damn! And I need to jump through hoops just to post this message! I wonder which browser I should use this time? Another PITA TR glitch that can't seem to be fixed.)

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

If you're using Firefox, the site is incompatible with versions 18 or higher. The PTBs have filed a bug report. You can downgrade to 17.x; open the 'Flag', 'Reply', and other links in a new tab; or switch browsers.

http://www.techrepublic.com/forum/discussions/103-401131

+
    0 Votes
    AnsuGisalas

Even those pesky corporate web-apps that used to only take IE.
    I guess it might be supplanting IE as the one browser to get baseline compatibility for.
    Not the worst that could happen.

+
    1 Votes

to me it seems counter-intuitive to code your site to only 1 or 2
    rendering engines. If you have a web site, its purpose is to attract
    visitors...unless you have some sort of under-the-table deal where
    you receive something for promoting browser A over browsers B
    through Z.

+
    0 Votes
    CharlieSpencer

I didn't like Chrome the last time, but that was a couple of years ago. Back then there wasn't much customization possible on the toolbars and there was no RSS capability or plug-in. I'll see if it's changed to better suit my needs.

+
    0 Votes
    maxwell edison

I've used all the browsers, and I've had issues with them all. The most recent with Chrome was that my message did not initially post, stating that TR sent an email to confirm I was a real person, or whatever it needed to confirm. I had to shut it all down, reload my message, and it posted okay the second time around.

+
    0 Votes
    Tony Hopkinson

I don't get downvotes with no comments.
    I mean what's the point?
    This is a discussion forum isn't it?
    Saying that I'm not sure how upvotes add to it either (Points for questions is/should be a different thing).
    I see a load of pluses against one of my posts, that just means it's popular. If I cared about that, I'd go in to politics...