Watercooler

Discussion on:

So, not only are CO2 emissions actually contributing to climate change

Message 21 of 84

View entire thread
+
0 Votes
neilb@uk

if your value of 20MT is true, but it isn't. Estimates for the Pinatubo eruption are in the area of 0.04 to 0.05 GTonnes of CO2. Twice your estimate. Pinatubo was a VEI-6. I produce more CO2 in explosive dumps after a vindaloo curry.

Humans produced well in excess of 30 GTonnes per annum CO2 in 2010. That's a factor of 700.

Let's see if we can help your confusion! Pinatubo produced 40-50 MILLION tonnes of CO2 during the eruption. Humans produce over 30 BILLION tonnes of CO2 per annum.

I'm not an expert but I was a scientist, so I check multiple sources and estimate the provenance, consistency and authority of the data. And then I read it - properly - and then I draw my own conclusions.

Even VEI-7 eruptions like Krakatoa and Tambora, which occur one in a century, will only generate 0.1GTonnes. That's 100 MILLION.

If we get a VEI-8 then we'll probably get a measurable CO2 increase in the atmosphere but CO2 will be the least of our worries.

Suck it up.

You know, I did originally say a week but I forgot what units I was working in... Goes to show that you really should check everything and trust no-one.