This year global cyber-war went mainstream. Banks were robbed by digital criminals, Yahoo confessed to losing half a billion consumer records, foreign attacks leaked documents from the Democratic National Committee and presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, and thousands of small businesses and enterprise companies lost millions of dollars.
Yet cybersecurity is complex, and learning and fundamentals--how hacking works, what attackers want, and how to protect against a data breach--is a daunting prospect for everyone from curious amateurs to IT pros. Even organizations as security-minded as banks "only cover about half of what really matters," said Ernst & Young cybersecurity expert Ertem Osmanoglu in a recent interview. "Cyber is truly a business issue that needs to be a bigger part of the end-to- end business workflow."
SEE: How risk analytics can help your organization plug security holes (Tech Pro Research)
Osmanoglu acknowledges that technology evolves quickly and that 100 percent security is impossible. "Therefore, organizations must be capable of immediately dealing with incidents to minimize loss," he said, and advised organizations of all sizes to leverage new technologies to improve organizational understanding of cyber-risk. "While new technologies will allow organizations to detect and respond to threats in real time, organizations should prioritize protection of high value assets. Information protection can seem overwhelming to executives, but allocating additional dollars towards crown jewels is a place to start ... cyber is truly a business issue that needs to be a bigger part of the end-to-end business workflow. "
From lessons on how encryption works to the tactics hackers use to attack systems to documentaries on the scale of contemporary cyberwar, the edifying and essential videos listed below will help you and your organization better understand the fundamentals of cybersecurity.
Cybersecurity for small business
How end-to-end encryption works
The economy of hacking
- Interview with a hacker: S1ege from Ghost Squad Hackers (TechRepublic)
- Interview with a hacker: Gh0s7, leader of Shad0wS3c (TechRepublic)
- Gallery: The 10 biggest business hacks of 2016 (TechRepublic)
- Poll: What new cybersecurity trends will dominate 2017? (TechRepublic)
- 2017 cybercrime trends: Expect a fresh wave of ransomware and IoT hacks (TechRepublic)
- Five essential cybersecurity audiobooks (TechRepublic)
- Five essential cybersecurity podcasts for IT professionals (TechRepublic)
- Cyberwar: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- How to safely access and navigate the Dark Web (TechRepublic)
- IT Security in the Snowden Era (ZDNet)
- How the Dark Web works (ZDNet)
- Cybersecurity sleuths learn to think like hackers (CNET)
- Inside look at the race to outsmart hackers (CBS News)