Microsoft opened the doors to its app store for Microsoft Office 2013 this week.
TechRepublic decided to take a look at the beta app store for Microsoft Office and SharePoint. To try out the apps in the store, users must have a Microsoft account and a preview version of Office 2013, SharePoint or Exchange 2013.
Office 2013 users will be able to access their apps across different computers each time they sign in to Office.
There are three types of Office app: content apps that can be embedded in content produced using Office, such as a dynamic map placed in a document; task-pane apps that sit in a pane next to the Office window, such as an app that brings up news stories related to highlighted text; and mail apps that integrate with mail and calendar in Outlook.
These apps will be able to interact both with sites and apps across the web and corporate systems, pulling in and mashing up information from any of these sources.
Developers will keep 80 per cent of the revenue from apps sold through the store, with the remaining 20 per cent going to Microsoft.
Microsoft has built-in controls that allows IT departments to set policies on what workers can and can't buy.
The LinkedIn app, seen here, provides users with information about the people they interact with via Outlook.
Users can call up the LinkedIn Profile of the person they're corresponding with and check out shared connections and LinkedIn group membership.
All this information is available from within Outlook.