27" Apple iMac teardown: Hardware specifications
As of this writing, the 21.5" iMac starts at $1,199 (US), and the 27" iMac starts at $1,699.
Our 27" test unit cost $1,768 (before taxes), and the following technical specifications:
- Processor: 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
- GPU: AMD RadeonHD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
- RAM: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
- Storage: 1TB Serial ATA Drive
- Display: 27-inch LED-backlit glossy screen (2,560 x 1,440 resolution)
- Optical drive: 8x SuperDrive with 4x double-layer burning (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Ports: SDXC card slot, audio line output, audio line input, four USB 2.0, one FireWire 800, two Thunderbolt, Mini DisplayPort output (DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI), Gigabit Ethernet, and IR receiver
- Speakers: Built-in stereo speakers and two internal 20-watt amplifiers
- Camera: FaceTime HD camera
- Input device: Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Trackpad, and Magic Mouse
- Wireless: 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty
Photo by: Bill Detwiler / TechRepublic
Caption by: Bill Detwiler
Bill Detwiler has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Bill Detwiler is Managing Editor of TechRepublic and Tech Pro Research and the host of Cracking Open, CNET and TechRepublic's popular online show. Prior to joining TechRepublic in 2000, Bill was an IT manager, database administrator, and desktop support specialist in the social research and energy industries. He has bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Louisville, where he has also lectured on computer crime and crime prevention.