An example of potential fire hazards that often lurk beneath a raised floor. There is live voltage on this circuit's exposed current-carrying conductors. This was an accident waiting to happen for an unsuspecting technician to possibly come into contact with live voltage while pulling a network cable, or cause the exposed conductors to make contact with a ground source, thus creating an arc, and potentially causing a fire.
Bill Detwiler has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Bill Detwiler is Managing Editor of TechRepublic and Tech Pro Research and the host of Cracking Open, CNET and TechRepublic's popular online show. Prior to joining TechRepublic in 2000, Bill was an IT manager, database administrator, and desktop support specialist in the social research and energy industries. He has bachelor's and master's degrees from the University of Louisville, where he has also lectured on computer crime and crime prevention.