Configure a Host (A) RecordA Host (A) record maps a host name to an IP address. These records help you easily identify another server in a forward lookup zone. Host records improve query performance in multiple-zone environments, and you can also create a Pointer (PTR) record at the same time. A PTR record resolves an IP address to a host name.
To create a Host record:
- Select DNS from the Administrative Tools folder to open the DNS console.
- Expand the Forward Lookup Zone and click on the folder representing your domain.
- From the Action menu, select New Host.
- Enter the Name and IP Address of the host you are creating (Figure O).
- Select the Create Associated Pointer (PTR) Record check box if you want to create the PTR record at the same time. Otherwise, you can create it later.
- Click the Add Host button.