- Install the console application -- Use the option to install a management application and viewer.
- Install the client agent -- Use this option to install the client agent that communicates with the console.
Network LookOut Administrator Professional is available as a download from the TechRepublic Software Library.
This gallery is also available as a TechRepublic article and as a TechRepublic download.
A look at the service
Console – new password
Add a monitored computer
Add computer - Advanced tab
A computer has been added
The Menu button
- Zoom Remote Screen -- Shows the remote screen full-size. This is a view-only mode.
- Remote Control -- This also shows the remote client at full-size, but is also interactive.
- Save screenshot -- If you see something particularly interesting on the remote client, use this option to save a copy of the screen.
- Tools -- I'll talk about this soon.
- Connect/Disconnect -- If you're connected to a client, disconnect and vice versa.
- Properties -- Open the Properties page for the client. This is the same window that you see when you choose to add a new computer.
- Add Computer Group -- If you have a number of monitored computers, it's easier to find a particular system when the entire list is organized. Therefore, you can add a group into which you can place individual monitored clients.
- Add Computer -- Add another computer to the list of monitored systems. Add Group of LAN Computers -- Add monitored clients en masse. I'll show this to you in a bit.
- Remove -- Remove the computer from the management console. Note that this does not uninstall the remote computer's client.
- Remote Agent Installation/Configuration -- Remotely configure this computer's client. You are prompted for a user name and password when you choose this option.
A boring window, but the job is done
The Tools menu
Tools menu results
A server being managed
The Tools tab
- A way to remotely execute programs.
- A way to open a Web site on the remote computer.
- A way to open a document on the remote computer.
Uninstall the agent
Add domain computers
Remote agent installation
- Net Monitor for Employees
- Net Monitor for Employees Professional
- Network LookOut Administrator
- Network LookOut Administrator Professional
Outside of a help desk scenario, I can see where this line of products would be useful in organizations worried about employee productivity or adherence to computing policies.
A look at the serviceThis is a quick look at the running services on a client on which the LookOut Administrator agent has been installed.
About Scott Lowe
Since 1994, Scott Lowe has been providing technology solutions to a variety of organizations. After spending 10 years in multiple CIO roles, Scott is now an independent consultant, blogger, author, owner of The 1610 Group, and a Senior IT Executive w...
Since 1994, Scott Lowe has been providing technology solutions to a variety of organizations. After spending 10 years in multiple CIO roles, Scott is now an independent consultant, blogger, author, owner of The 1610 Group, and a Senior IT Executive with CampusWorks, Inc. Scott is available for consulting, writing, and speaking engagements and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.