Date Added: Oct 2006
If you know the rudiments of the SQL query language but want to take your skills to the next level, learn how to take full advantage of SQL's expressive power: work more with SQL inside the database before pushing data across the network to your applications. Focus on advanced searching in this sample chapter from SQL Cookbook: Query Solutions and Techniques for Database Developers. Follow the problem-solution-discussion format to explore and resolve the following problems:
- Paginating through a result set
- Skipping n rows from a table
- Incorporating OR logic when using outer joins
- Determining which rows are reciprocals
- Selecting the top n records
- Finding records with the highest and lowest values
- Investigating future rows
- Shifting row values
- Ranking results
- Suppressing duplicates
- Finding "Knight values"
- Generating simple forecasts
Title: SQL Cookbook: Query Solutions and Techniques for Database Developers
Author: Anthony Molinaro
Publisher: O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Chapter 11: Advanced Searching
ISBN: 0596009763; Copyright ? 2005 O'Reilly Media. All rights reserved.
Used with permission from the publisher. Available from booksellers or direct from O'Reilly Media Previously published book chapters on TechRepublic can be found using the book chapter tag.