HIPAA Security Provisions: Is Your Network Ready for a Physical?
The security-focused Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) federal regulation became effective April 2005, requiring many companies to review the health of their systems that create, receive, transmit or maintain health information. If your company is subject to HIPAA, is it prepared to meet the requirements of the Security Rule? This paper details:
- The who, what, and why of HIPAA
- Security requirements under the HIPAA Statute, Privacy Rule, and Security Rule
- Deadlines, penalties, and sanctions for noncompliance
- HIPAA Security Rule Standards
- How to maintain network health through independent configuration auditing