Have you thought about using Linux? If not, here are 10 things that attracted me to playing around with several distributions of Linux.
- It is absolutely free unless you choose to purchase support.
- Open source.
- Easy to download.
- Secure. The design of Linux makes it difficult to get a virus. By design, viruses would be isolated to the particular user and could not wreak havoc throughout the system.
- Some Linux distributions are very easy to install. SuSe was a walk in the park and has lots of driver support.
- Bundled with software to meet most of your needs and it doesnt cost you a penny.
- Very good forum support and you could pay for additional support but it is not required.
- Great web platform.
- Virtualization. You can install VMware Workstation 5 for Linux and still run Windows XP if necessary. In fact, I am writing this article on a laptop installed with SuSe and running a virtual machine of Windows XP SP2. I have Word opened within my virtual machine which is what I am using to write this blog.
- Crazy Linux Zealots. I love you guys.
- Stability. In general, Linux is a stable Operating System and requires less reboots than Windows.
- Multiple Desktops.
- Kewl window managers, Kewl themes, Kewl icons.
What would you like to add to this list? Add it in the comments section and I will edit the blog and add your entry. Let’s really see what people love out there.