Sometimes aligning project direction with strategic direction can be like navigating through a dense fog–the direction is not always clear, and obstacles can prove to be hazardous stumbling blocks if they aren’t adequately anticipated. It seems having the right project and portfolio management tools and techniques might be a requirement for success.
In an interview with Eric Bergman, VP of Product Management at Changepoint, he shares his thoughts on the challenges facing businesses and the outlook on the project portfolio management (PPM) space. He also offers a peek into some of the unique features of Changepoint’s Daptiv PPM and how it can benefit companies in their quest for increased project and portfolio agility.
TechRepublic: What do you see as some of the PPM struggles facing many companies today?
Eric Bergman: Companies that fail to adapt are the first to struggle. We’ve seen it firsthand, that today’s economy is changing faster than ever before, and we’re evolving to stay competitive. Many of them experience the same challenges including:
- A lack of visibility into projects and resources
- Inconsistent project planning and management
- The inability to track inefficiencies, redundancies, bottlenecks, and waste
- Overly reliant on time-consuming manual data gathering and reporting
TechRepublic: With PPM requirements and expectations on the rise, what do organizations need to do in order to increase their chances for strategic success?
Eric Bergman: Clients will need to be able to:
- Have insight into their technology investments in a strategic way
- Be able to shape how those investments are made and execute high-impact projects in well-managed ways
- Enable architects, IT planning teams, and C-suite (CEO, COO, CTO) to align execution with business strategy needs
- Rely on real-time visibility into their company’s projects and resources to make decisions and drive innovation
- Simplify time and task management for project team members, freeing them from their desks to easily capture task and time data
- Minimize the risk of inaccurate or delayed data
- Have better data with which to make more informed staffing decisions, better control costs, and meet contractual and regulatory labor obligations
- Accelerate time and task entry, enabling better-informed decisions
- Enable team members can better track tasks and submit timesheets anytime from any device, which gives stakeholders a more accurate view of project status, to keep initiatives on time and on budget
- Enable mobile workers to work when they want, how they want, wherever they want
TechRepublic: What do you see in the future for PPM in terms of remote PM/mobility?
Eric Bergman: The future of work is flexible, which means our tools must be as well. Monday-Friday, 9-5 jobs at a fixed location are quickly becoming the exception. In extreme cases, collaborative software has made physical offices obsolete. Our industry is evolving and, more and more, clients are demanding technology that makes tracking and completing projects anytime, anywhere as easy as sending email from our phones and tablets.
TechRepublic: What makes Changepoint’s Daptiv PPM especially innovative for remote workers?
Eric Bergman: Daptiv TTM is the first mobile time and task application for use with a full set of enterprise-class PPM tools (Daptiv PPM). It simplifies time and task management for project team members, freeing them from their desks to easily capture task and time data anytime, anywhere, on any device.