Amazon's voice-powered assistant, Alexa, will now be able to book calendar appointments and check dates for Google's G Suite business customers.
On Thursday, Amazon announced that it was adding support for G Suite calendars to its Alexa digital assistant. Alexa, which powers devices like the Echo and Echo Dot, will now be able to read off calendar events and more for business users in the G Suite ecosystem.
Alexa has supported the standard Google Calendar since it launched, expanding in March 2017 to include support for Microsoft Office 365 calendars. Alexa also supports Outlook Calendar, which works with accounts ending in @outlook.com, @live.com, @hotmail.com, and @msn.com. Now, with support for the G Suite, even more professionals will be able to use Alexa as a personal office assistant.
In an email sent to press, Amazon said G Suite customers who integrate their calendars will be able to ask questions such as "Alexa, what's on my calendar?" and give commands such as "Alexa, add lunch with Sarah at noon to my calendar."
To enable the integration, Alexa users can open their Alexa companion app and head to the settings portion. Under the account section, tap on calendars. From here, you will need to tap on the type of account you wish to integrate (Google or Microsoft) before inputting the credentials to link the account. Once you follow the prompts on the screen, you should be good to go.
In addition to adding support for corporate accounts, a host of rumors have popped up suggesting that Amazon may be working on conference room and intercom integrations as well. If so, this could signify that Amazon is moving to capture the enterprise market with its flagship AI assistant.
However, Amazon hasn't forgotten the consumer applications for Alexa either. If CES 2017 was any indication, Alexa will continue to make its way through smart phone, robotics, and more.
Currently, calendar integrations are only available for Alexa users in the US, the UK and Germany.
The 3 big takeaways for TechRepublic readers
- Amazon has added integration for G Suite calendars to its Alexa digital assistant.
- The integration will allow users to check or add calendar events, and could make Alexa a better option for certain business users.
- Amazon has also been ramping up Alexa integration in smart home applications, robotics, and more.
- These new features could make Amazon Alexa a true office assistant (TechRepublic)
- Amazon opens Echo microphone tech to third-party Alexa devices (ZDNet)
- Amazon Echo: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- Amazon Echo: 10 Alexa productivity skills to try (ZDNet)
- Cracking Open the Amazon Echo cloud-connected speaker (TechRepublic)