I often write about quirky cell phone stories that I run across, and today is no exception. This past Saturday, January 13, 2007, a 59-year-old man received 2nd- and 3rd-degree burns when his cell phone burst into flames. Check out the news story: “Combustible cell phone burns California man.”

According to the article, the cell phone was in Luis Picaso’s right pants’ pocket, and the flames quickly ignited his polyester blend pants, nylon shirt, and windbreaker. The lead investigator, William Tweedy, said that the cell phone was one of many contributing factors to the fire. “Tweedy believes buttons on the phone may have been depressed for a long period of time, which could have caused the phone to overheat and ignite Picaso’s clothing.”

Oh, and did I mention that Luis was drunk? What a sobering moment that must have been when he realized that he was on fire! I wonder if, in his state of intoxication, he thought about how the heck he was going to call 911…

I love my cell phone, but the day that it burns me is the day that I find another mode of communication.