The new Dell XPS 13 features a top-mounted webcam and the latest quad-core 8th Gen Intel Core processors.
At CES 2019 on Tuesday, Dell unveiled the latest upgrade to the XPS 13 laptop, making it the smallest and most powerful 13-inch laptop in its class with the latest Quad Core 8th Gen Intel processor and Windows 10.
Dell last updated the XPS 13 a year ago. Rated among the best business laptops of 2018--the developer edition was named the best Linux laptop of 2018 by our sister site ZDNet--the XPS 13 was CNET's top choice for a premium Windows ultraportable laptop at its size, due in part to its high performance and battery life. The 2019 version increases the battery life from 12 hours up to 21 hours, and includes the smallest camera ever in a laptop, at 2.25mm.
Unlike the previous version, the new XPS 13 places its webcam at the top of the display, as opposed to under the screen, making it easier for conference calling and video chatting.
SEE: CES 2019 news, photos, videos, and more (TechRepublic on Flipboard)
The machine also offers strong visuals will Dell Cinema and Dolby Vision, on a 4K Ultra HD InfinityEdge display. Its starting weight is 2.7 pounds.
- 4GB-16GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel SDRAM at 2133MHz
- Intel UHD Graphics 620
- 45W AC adapter
- 52WHr battery
- 2x Thunderbolt 3 with power delivery and DisplayPort (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3)
- 1x USB-C 3.1 with power delivery and DisplayPort microSD card reader
At CES, Dell also announced the latest 13-inch and 15-inch Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 devices with the latest 8th Gen Intel Core processors and improved hinge that can store the Active Pen. The company also improved its Dell Mobile Connect offering, adding the ability for Android users to drag and drop photos and files from their phone to their PC wirelessly, even without internet connection.
The XPS 13 UHD Touch is now available in two colors starting at $900. Later this month, it will be available in more colors and in FHD non-touch, and after this month, in FHD Touch. Inspiron 13 7000 and 15 7000 will be available by July 2019, with pricing yet to be announced. Dell Mobile Connect is available on PCs released in January 2018 or later.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- Dell released the latest version of its XPS 13 laptop with a Quad Core 8th Gen Intel processor and 21-hour battery life.
- It also announced new Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 devices and updates to Dell Mobile Connect.
- Special report: How to optimize the smart office (TechRepublic download)
- Smart office technology: What's working, what's failing, and what users want out of it (Tech Pro Research)
- The best office tech for under $50 (ZDNet)
- 7 must-have devices for your smart home office (ZDNet)
- Photos: 20 home office must-haves for remote workers (TechRepublic)
- TechRepublic launches the 'Smart Home Office' (TechRepublic)
- These smart plugs are the secret to a seamless smart home (CNET)
- Smart office: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)