Lukla, Nepal
10:00 P.M. local time (12:15 P.M. EDT)

Without repeating what Mike has already reported, some final thoughts on returning to Lukla.

First. The entire day was uphill. Oh wait. Redundant, redundant, redundant. Enough said. Hill. Hard. Tired.

Second. I still can’t believe these small airplanes land on this gravel and dirt airstrip. We watched several land and take off today—quite whimsically, I might add. In fact, you could have placed Mike and me right in a scene from Casablanca. There we were, waiting for our flight out, yet without the requisite letters of transit. Where’s Bogey when you need him most?

Third. I’m tired. I’m dirty. And I need a shower. Again, enough said. Probably too much said, but I had to get that off my chest.

Fourth. I saw a newspaper for the first time in however long I’ve been out here. That’s another thing. I have no idea what day it is, other than the date itself. Days of the week have no meaning when you’re in the field for any length of time. Back to the newspaper. Here’s my summation: I’ve not missed a thing. How’s that for responsible journalism? There’s nothing that’s happened that I couldn’t have lived another day without knowing. I’m canceling my subscription to the local paper when I get home. And who’s this Elian kid?

Fifth. I called the office tonight to report in and say we were all right. Two things. Mae, our wonderful front desk maestro, didn’t believe it was me. Really. Trust me guys, the news of my demise has been greatly exaggerated. We did manage to get in touch with our new VP of Content Development, Bob Artner. Unfortunately, he was not amused when I requested carte blanche for a new story lead in Tibet. Maybe next time. And Bob, the batteries are working just fine.

Sixth. And last but not least, a special thanks to all the students at Most Blessed Sacrament for their virtual participation. We’ve enjoyed your company and look forward to seeing you upon our return.

One more thing. Mike and I are in our room now at the Sherpa Lodge. It’s about 10:00 P.M. local time. I only report this because as I type this now, something quite large just scurried inside the walls of our room. Oh, and there were interesting animal moaning and whining noises coming from somewhere above our heads. I was sleepy. More on the intruders another time.

Until next time.
Want to win a TechRepublic baseball cap? Share your climbing experiences or give the guys encouraging words by posting your comment below, or send us an e-mail. It’s that simple.And so you don’t miss one step of David and Mike’s climb up Island Peak, subscribe to our free TrekMail. Be one of the first 2,000 subscribers to our TrekMail, and you’ll get a cool TechRepublic flying disc!

David Bard has been a fixture at TechRepublic for some time now. At one time he was editor in chief of LinuxRepublic and then AdminRepublic. Currently, he occupies space as an editor in chief with TechProGuild. In addition, he’s a freelance writer who has covered extreme sports for years. He also is a writer of horror and—contrary to what his climbing partner may think—is hoping the expedition to Nepal doesn’t provide fodder for his next story. When he’s not at home teaching his year-and-a-half-old daughter why it’s not a good idea to eat rocks, or trying to convince his wife why yet another expedition really is necessary, he’s usually off in some remote section of woods trying to discover himself. He’s still looking.