This week, IT Manager Republic has featured the daily diary of Mark Gonzales, IT manager for the department of emergency management with the county government in Pueblo, CO.

7:30 A.M.
TGIF! I walked in this morning and noticed that my snail mail box is full again. I need to sort through some of this stuff. I notice that there is some interoffice mail that needs my immediate attention. This is administrative paperwork, so I won’t bore you with the details.
Get caught up on this week’s diary.Read Monday’s installment.Read Tuesday’s installment.Read Wednesday’s installment.Read Thursday’s installment.
8:15 A.M.
Our computer specialist stops by to fill me in on some of the requests that I made during the week. He informs me that he has a 20-gigabyte hard disk that he can install in one of our staff member’s machines. This staff member needs the ArcView application installed but currently doesn’t have enough disk space.

The computer specialist also reminds me that our audio equipment vendor is coming in this morning to reprogram some of the system. I wanted to watch the process, but I have a meeting with our GIS (geographical information system) manager at 9 A.M. I hope the vendor doesn’t get here until after my meeting. Finally, the computer specialist informs me that he is leaving at noon today. This means that I am going to be on my own in getting the computer equipment out of the last office to be carpeted. Maybe I can recruit some help.

9:00 A.M.
The meeting with the GIS manager turns out to be more of a training session in ArcView. It is well worth the time because, besides the training session, we actually get some much-needed work accomplished. I now understand a little bit more of how the whole project fits together. I learn a little about queries, locating address points, and exporting data from ArcView to the Access database. Our GIS manager is a very busy person, but I am thinking of asking for another lesson in ArcView if we can both find the time.

11:30 A.M.
I am taking another long lunch today. I promised to have lunch with my parents and do a little visiting.

1:00 P.M.
I review some network statistics and make a few phone calls to the WAN remote sites. I have organized a meeting with them next week, and I want everyone to be aware of the agenda. I need to make sure that their concerns and questions are added to the meeting schedule so that everyone is given equal time.

Later, one of our vendors calls regarding the configuration of the registered IP address on our SUN server.

1:45 P.M.
I learn that the vendor who was supposed to be here to fix our audio equipment is not going to show up until next Tuesday. I also find out that I don’t need to remove the computer equipment from the front office today since they are not going to carpet that office until next week. Whew, that was the best news I’d heard all day.

2:00 P.M.
I need to correct a few records in our database before I leave for the weekend. If you remember from my description of the database earlier in the week, these are records that deal with residential addresses in various communities in our county. I found a few records that have the same address but different owner names. Hopefully I can get some help from the staff members who have been in the field. My goal is to get through these before I leave for the day.

4:30 P.M.
Well, the end of the week is here. I have checked my voice mail and e-mail; there’s nothing that can’t wait until Monday.
Tell us about a typical week in your shop. Post a comment to this article or send us an e-mail if you would like to keep an IT journal for a week and share it with TechRepublic.