Software, product, and QA engineers are among the 20 fastest-growing roles in the Bay Area, according to Indeed.
The tech job sector has consistently grown over the past decade, bringing 1.5 million new jobs to the market since 2010. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, tech makes up nearly 10% of all jobs in the US economy, most of which started in Silicon Valley.
Silicon Valley is one of the world's largest destinations for innovation, with almost half (47%) of the tech start-ups in the US residing in that region, according to Quid's Innovation Mapping report.
SEE: Telephone interview cheat sheet: Field/systems engineer (Tech Pro Research)
With the year 2018 coming to a close, Indeed used its own job posting data from the Bay Area to assess the tech job market in one of the world's top tech hubs.
Looking at numbers of job postings, salary rates, company reviews, and more, Indeed identified the following 20 positions as the most in-demand tech jobs of 2018:
- Software test engineer
- Senior product manager
- Quality assurance engineer
- Technical program manager
- Machine learning engineer
- Cloud engineer
- Principal software engineer
- Firmware engineer
- Software engineering manager
- Operation analyst
- IT security specialist
- Product owner
- Senior data analyst
- Principal product manager
- Technical product manager
- Senior design engineer
- Information technology manager
- Senior application engineer
- Business intelligence analyst
- Hadoop developer
Engineers clearly took the cake, making up half of the top 20 roles, and product-related roles occupied one-quarter of the top positions. This year's most in-demand role, software test engineer, jumped up from no. 8 on last year's list.
Check out this TechRepublic article for tips on how to prepare for a job interview.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- The most in-demand jobs of 2018 include software test engineer, senior product manager, and quality assurance engineer. -- Indeed, 2018
- Engineers dominate the the list of most in-demand jobs, occupying half of the top 20 spots. -- Indeed, 2018
- Dark Web: A cheat sheet for professionals (TechRepublic)
- How to manage job stress: An IT leader's guide (TechRepublic download)
- IT Training Policy (Tech Pro Research)
- Remote working 101: Professional's guide to the tools of the trade (ZDNet)
- 5 best standing desk converters for 2018 (CNET)
- The 10 most important iPhone apps of all time (Download.com)
- Tech history: Check out our coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)