Want more reviews of tech gadgets and gizmos? Download the PDF of TechRepublic’s Geek Gift Guide 2009.
When it comes to listening to music or gaming, nothing beats a good pair of headphones with a built-in microphone. The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset provides clear stereo audio and it does it without the annoying wires or line of sight issues.
- Dimensions: 5 x 9 x 7 inches; 2.2 pounds
- Weight: 5.5 ounces
- Play Time: up to approximately 17 hours
- Speakers: 40mm diameter Neodymium
- Music controls: Jog dial – track/ volume – push button- call answer/ play-pause
- Microphone: Noise, echo and wind cancellation
- Bluetooth Class: Class 2
- Stereo Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
- Bluetooth HF Profiles: HS 1.0, HF1.2
- Thermoformed Carry Case
- Additional information
- Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset Photo Gallery
What I like
The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset is designed for users who want to hear stereo audio from a smartphone or other Bluetooth-enabled device. Since many PCs are now equipped with Bluetooth technology, this headset can also be used for gaming and listening to music. The headset is equipped with a built-in microphone making hands-free and wireless telephone conversation possible, not to mention multiplayer trash talking.
In situations where environmental noise is a factor, having DJ-style, over-the-ear, headphones may be the only way to hear. The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset effectively mutes environmental noise for both the headphones and the microphone.
The headset is generally comfortable, but can feel a little heavy after wearing them for long periods. The ear cups are well cushioned and don’t squeeze too hard. However, as is common with all over-the-ear headphones, there is a significant amount of heat build up.
- Wireless stereo: Unlike single earpiece headsets, the S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset transmits sound in stereo, which greatly enhances the audio experience, especially with music and other multimedia.
- Built-in controls: There are controls on the left earpiece that allow users to control applications on smartphones, iPods and other Bluetooth devices. There is also a phone switch that will stop multimedia playback to answer an incoming phone call.
- Noise cancellation: With noise cancellation process for the earpieces and the microphone, conversations and other interactions are clearer.
- Rugged: The S805 headset is well-built and includes a sturdy carrying case to protect the device from accidental harm.
- Sound quality: The sound quality, especially for music and multimedia, is surprisingly good. All but the most ardent audiophile will be satisfied with the S805 headset.
What I don’t like
Initial configuration: The general configuration of the S805 relies on operating system wizards and configuration screens. For Windows Vista, the setup was a little clunky and may be more than an average user could handle on their own. However, the HP 901 smartphone negotiated the Bluetooth connection easily, so it really depends on the device. For a computer geek, the connection process may be frustrating but not insurmountable.
Multiplayer gaming almost always requires some form of verbal communication. With the Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset, a gamer can get the rich stereo sound of the game and communicate with other gamers via the built-in microphone. The Bluetooth technology means this is accomplished digitally and wirelessly. And active noise-cancellation ensures the quality of the multimedia experience.
While other headsets specifically designed for gaming or interfacing with iPods are on the market, they are generally more expensive and require additional software and a wired connection. The Motorola S805 Bluetooth DJ Headset will provide an adequate audio experience in those situations for a very reasonable price.
Geek gift score (out of a possible 5)
- Fun factor: ***
- Geek factor: ***
- Value: ****
- Overall: ***