TechRepublic member wadedumar is having issues with Linux. Can you help this fellow member resolve their issue?
Welcome to our "Got Answers?" series (which is published each Thursday) where we are helping fellow members get answers to their tech questions. Are you the one who can offer advice or tips to help your fellow member with their issues? Have your own Tech issues? Post them in our forums where you can receive answers to all your tech questions.
Have you ever tried to use something on your computer just to discover it no longer works, but the last time you used it, it worked fine? This is what TechRepublic member wadedumar is currently facing when they discovered their Linux OS appears to now be corrupted, so they have turned to the TechRepublic community for assistance.
TechRepublic member wadedumar says, "I have Windows 7 and KX Studios and Qiana all in one partitioned hard drive. I have not used either of the Linux OS's in at least a month or two. When I logged into KX, I had no taskbar or a start button. I had two boxes on the desktop widget, and a big KDX menu button in the top left corner.
I tried opening Cadence and it only opens up down in the taskbar which I did get the taskbar to show up again by the way.
It will only open up like little menus down in the taskbar for the Cadence or Claudia or anything and will not maximize to full screen where I can use it and seems to be the acting that same way on whatever program in there now.I restarted the computer, and it was just the same.
I restarted it again and this time logged into Qiana and it also was messed up with no taskbar or start menu, only a big blank desktop but nothing else. Last time I used both of the Linux OS's there was no problems with them, they were perfectly fine.
Is it possible for them to get messed up when I'm not even using them and using Windows only?
Do any of you have any ideas on what could be doing this?"
Are you able to help wadedumar with their question? Just click the button below:
The TechRepublic Forums is a community of IT Experts, where you can go to seek advice, share your knowledge, brainstorm, shoot the breeze and enjoy the camaraderie of your IT peers. So, if you haven't already - be sure to check out the forums today!
More Tech Help Questions from the TechRepublic Forums
- Setting up an Email Server by czar1390
- Windows 10 Lenovo desktop - trouble switching on by grace23p
- Toshiba Satellite laptop hangs on startup by davidsmila
- VM allocation (assign two virtual machine to one task) by hamzehh
- Is it possible to convert an obscure file format to a commonly used one? by HubertCumberdale
- Linux survival guide: These 21 applications let you move easily between Linux and Windows (ZDNet)
- Why Microsoft's Linux love affair was inevitable (TechRepublic)
- Why TENS is the secure bootable Linux you need (TechRepublic)
- Linus Torvalds answers 5 questions in BBC letter (ZDNet)
- Cisco: Linux kernel FragmentSmack bug now affects 88 of our products (ZDNet)