Welcome to our “Got Answers?” series (which is published each Thursday) where we are helping fellow members get answers to their tech questions. Are you the one who can offer advice or tips to help your fellow member with their questions? Do you have your own tech questions? Post them in our forums where you can receive answers from your fellow members.
You have worked hard on creating your new website, and are now ready for the outside world to visit. However, you have discovered an issue – your domain name is not working and it is driving you crazy trying to figure out what is wrong. This is where TechRepublic member BBotteron has found themselves and has turned to the TechRepublic community for assistance in helping them figure out why no one outside their network can reach their domain.
TechRepublic member BBotteron writes, “Hello everyone!
I have recently started building a website and I’m using Wampserver to host to the outside world. I have set everything up and this website is available on my own network. On my PC I am hosting from I can connect to localhost. From a different PC or phone I can connect with my domain name. I have port forwarding and firewall rules set. Everything so far is finished. When someone from an outside network connects to my website they have to use my IP address instead of my domain name. I have set the CNAME record with godaddy.com to point with the name being “www” and value being “@”. The A record name is “@” and the value being my public IP.
What am I missing to get people from other networks to use my actual domain instead of my public IP? Any help is appreciated and thank you for helping! I’ve been working on this for a week and I’ve finally made it to a point of where I’m stuck.”
Are you able to help BBotteron with their issue? Simply click the “Answer This” button below:
The TechRepublic Forums is a community of IT Experts, where you can go to seek advice, share your knowledge, brainstorm, shoot the breeze and enjoy the camaraderie of your IT peers. So, if you haven’t already – be sure to check out the forums today!
More Tech Help Questions from the TechRepublic Forums
- HDMI streaming to TV from Android phone by K12ehr
- Wifi drivers won’t reinstall by carlos58
- How can I bypass/remove Pointsec on an old laptop? by kadoshr1
- Advice needed, smartphone connection issue, potential sim reader problem by Snoots
- Hypervisor running Win10 VM’s with User Account creation via Phone app by sP3C7RuM
- Microsoft patches Windows zero-day used by multiple cyber-espionage groups (ZDNet)
- Google launches VisBug, a Chrome extension for point-and-click web design (ZDNet)
- Practical Web Programming 101 (ZDNet Academy)
- The best web hosting providers for 2018 (CNET)
- Web Development + Mobile Development (CNET Forums)