Smart city tech, which includes IoT, mobile apps, big data, and more, is taking over the world. TechRepublic's Smart Cities newsletter will keep you updated on the latest smart city innovations.
What is a smart city? As defined by TechRepublic Senior Writer Teena Maddox, "a smart city uses IoT sensors and technology to connect components across a city to derive data and improve the lives of citizens and visitors." She noted, "the smart city industry is projected to be a $400 billion market by 2020, with 600 cities around the globe expected to generate 60% of the world's GDP by 2025."
With smart cities becoming the norm, it's important to stay informed about the latest innovations, risks, success stories, and best practices in the movement. TechRepublic's Smart Cities newsletter makes it easy to keep up to date on how tech is changing cities and people around the world.
SEE: The world's smartest cities: What IoT and smart governments will mean for you (TechRepublic)
Smart cities will impact all of society's sectors, from a governmental level to a personal level. For instance, the increase in smart technology brings an increase in cybersecurity risks, which will eventually need to be addressed on a legislative scale. Smart cities will create a new job market in the tech industry, which will also affect what universities are teaching students.
To get a better idea of what you'll find in the Smart Cities newsletter, here's a sample of our coverage of this topic, which includes interviews with industry and government leaders.
- Smart cities: The smart person's guide
- The 4 IoT products a smart city needs in 2017
- 4 common entry points to a smart city
- Smart cities: 6 essential technologies
- One of these 10 municipalities may be the next smartest city in the US
- Legislation is needed for smart cities, say 90% of US companies
- 16 tech jobs that will be needed for the future of smart cities
- How universities are helping fill the smart cities talent gap
- The smart city security nightmare: How cities can stay awake
- Video: The one key that led Barcelona to become one of the world's smartest cities
- Video: Why some of the best engineers are choosing smart city jobs over high-paid gigs
- How Columbus, Ohio parlayed $50 million into $500 million for a smart city transportation network
- Smart Cities NYC '17: Microsoft launches Smart Cities for All Toolkit
- Smart Cities NYC '17: Sustainability, public safety and smart tech in Toronto
- Smart Cincy Summit: 11 ways to become a smarter city
- IT leader's guide to the rise of smart cities (Tech Pro Research)
- IT leader's guide to the rise of smart cities, volume 2 (Tech Pro Research)
- Louisville and the Future of the Smart City (ZDNet)
- Energy and information sabotage: The threats facing our smart cities (ZDNet)