Swiping left and right on your emails in the iOS Mail app gives you several quick actions. If you want to customize those actions, read this how-to tip.
In iOS 8, Apple introduced swipe gestures to Mail, allowing users to swipe on a message left or right to get various options for managing the message. If those gestures don't do what you want, you can customize them.
Here's how to customize swipe messages so you can swipe left or right on a message and use the customized action that appears. This tutorial is applicable to all versions of iOS.
SEE: Job description: iOS developer (Tech Pro Research)
To change the left and right swipe options in Mail, perform these steps.
- Open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Mail | Swipe Options (Figure A).
- For the Swipe Left option, you can choose between None, Mark As Read, Flag, and Move Message; for the Swipe Right option, you can choose between None, Mark As Read, Flag, Move Message, and Archive/Trash. (Note: Accounts that include Archive as the default action for swiping left will offer Trash for swiping right.)
That's it! Whenever you swipe left or right on a message, the options that you've chosen will be displayed inside the iOS Mail app.
- Special report: Cybersecurity in an IoT and mobile world (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
- Apple's first iOS 11 update: iPhone users get urgent fix for broken Microsoft email (ZDNet)
- The Complete iOS 11 & Swift Developer Course: Build 20 Apps (TechRepublic Academy)
- How to use drafts when composing messages in the iOS Mail app (TechRepublic)
- How to mark up PDFs and images in the iOS Mail app (TechRepublic)
- How to add automatic email signatures to new messages in Mail for iOS (TechRepublic)
- How to print from Gmail and Inbox on iOS: 7 methods (TechRepublic)