In an effort to help speed cloud adoption across the enterprise, IBM released a new identity management solution on Tuesday that simplifies employee access to business applications across a hybrid cloud environment. Cloud Identity Connect is a new Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS) that will be delivered via the IBM Cloud, according to an IBM press release.
Cloud Identity Connect offers one-click access, and provides a bridge between infrastructure investments on-premises and in the cloud, the release said. Apps are accessed through a simple user portal, and users can add new SaaS applications to the catalog as needed.
Identity management is growing in complexity, driven by the increase in mobile computing and the rise of the Internet of Things (IoT). Combine that with the cloud and the transition to cloud-native applications, and the need for simplicity continues to grow.
SEE: Cloud computing policy template (Tech Pro Research)
Citing Gartner research, the release also noted that hybrid cloud is poised to become the most commonly-used form of the cloud in the enterprise. Hybrid cloud adds another layer of complexity, as it often relies on both public cloud and on-premises environments.
In the release, Jason Keenaghan, the director of strategy and offering management for IAM and fraud at IBM Security said that businesses need to "infuse identity everywhere," and that Cloud Identity Connect could help them do so, without compromising productivity.
And the solution isn't targeted to a specific business size, either. "Regardless of where an organization is in that transition process, IBM is now positioned to scale on-premise and cloud offerings to meet the unique needs of nearly any business at any time," Keenaghan said in the release.
Under the mantle of IBM Cloud Identity, the firm offers other solutions alongside Cloud Identity Connect. Cloud Identity Service provides a more complex suite of identity and access management capabilities, including identity governance and web access management, the release said. Additionally, IBM MaaS360 UEM provides unified endpoint management (UEM) for mobile devices, boosting SSO capabilities across platforms.
The IBM Cloud Identity toolset will be available for free to customers that are already utilizing certain IBM tools like Verse or Connections Cloud, along with those using partner offerings like the one from IBM and Box, the release said. IBM Cloud Identity Connect will be available on June 15th, accessible through the IBM Cloud Marketplace.
The 3 big takeaways for TechRepublic readers
- IBM's Cloud Identity Connect is a new identity management solution that aims to bridge the gap between on-premises and cloud infrastructure investments.
- Cloud Identity Connect offers app access through a user portal, and customers can add SaaS apps to their access catalog as needed.
- The new solution, available June 15, is part of the IBM Cloud Identity toolset, which will be available for free to certain IBM customers.
- IBM Q brings quantum computing to the cloud for businesses (TechRepublic)
- How IBM plans to be the "undisputed leader" of the next cloud phase (ZDNet)
- How IBM's cloud and cognitive computing tools help deliver personalized customer experiences (TechRepublic)
- IBM Q1 mixed, cloud-as-a-service hits $8.6 billion annual run rate (ZDNet)
- IBM uses Watson to fill cybersecurity gaps (TechRepublic)
Conner Forrest has nothing to disclose. He doesn't hold investments in the technology companies he covers.
Conner Forrest is a Senior Editor for TechRepublic. He covers enterprise technology and is interested in the convergence of tech and culture.