Live video production environments with a need for 4K video conversion to NDI can benefit from the new encoder. Here's how.
On Monday, Magewell started shipping the Pro Convert HDMI 4K Plus video converter, which offers extremely low latency suitable for live video production environments. The Pro Convert HDMI 4K Plus is designed to convert standard HDMI signaling to the IP-based NDI format. The Pro Convert supports 4K at 60FPS at 4:4:4 chroma, though outputs NDI 3.x data at 4K 60FPS or 1080p 240FPS at 4:2:2 8-bit output.
The company claims support for any NewTek NDI-enabled software, though has tested the device with OBS, XSplit, vMix, VidBlasterX, Wirecast, streamstar SW, and mimoLive. Status monitoring and setting management is done using a web interface, eliminating the need for platform specific tools for Windows, OS X, or Linux. It features a mini-DIN-8 jack for PTZ + TALLY control with included breakout cable, and an SD card slot, though Magewell indicates that this functionality will be developed in the future.
SEE: Digital transformation in 2019: A business leader's guide to future challenges and opportunities (Tech Pro Research)
To be expected of hardware converters in a production environment, the Pro Convert HDMI 4K Plus features brightness, contrast, saturation, and hue adjustment, as well as deinterlacing, optionally top or bottom field only. Additionally, it offers conversion of aspect ratio and color formats, with auto or manual selection of input or output color format and quantization range, as well as auto or manual selection of saturation range for output. Likewise, it can convert frame rates, as well as mirror flip input video.
The Pro Convert HDMI 4K Plus supports IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet, reducing the number of cables and free power outlets needed for deployment.
For organizations that broadcast live news or sports content, real time editing and input source management can be complex, making a compact device which requires no dedicated outlet convenient.
A lower-spec model which supports only 1080p at 60FPS is available for users requiring only HD, without plans to upgrade in the near future.
The big takeaways for tech leaders:
- Magewell has started shipping the Pro Convert HDMI 4K Plus video converter for live video production environments.
- It is compatible with NewTek NDI-enabled software, and uses a web-based configuration interface, eliminating the need for platform specific tools for Windows, OS X, or Linux.
- 3D printing: A cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+: An insider's guide (TechRepublic download)
- Hardware decommissioning policy (Tech Pro Research)
- How to securely erase hard drives (HDDs) and solid state drives (SSDs) (ZDNet)
- Best 2-in-1 laptops, convertibles, and hybrid laptops for business 2018 (ZDNet)
- Best cell phone trade-in options for iPhones and Android phones (CNET)
- Clean out junk files in Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 (Download.com)
- Raspberry Pi: More must-read coverage (TechRepublic on Flipboard)