This week on TechRepublic’s Business Technology Weekly podcast, host Dan Patterson interviews Stand Up NY Labs executive producer and co-founder Jonathan Fatigate about the most successful podcast formats, how to grow and market programs, and how audio programs can strengthen your brand.
Podcast takeaways for business listeners:
- Podcasting is a long-term investment: Most podcasts experience linear, not exponential, growth. Don’t buy advertising or spend budget on traditional marketing tactics. Instead, spend money and invest time crafting high-quality content. Expect slow, but consistent growth.
- Passion is key: Podcasts work best when the content intersects listeners and passionate topics. The “show about nothing” is rarely successful. The most effective programs are niche-oriented and tightly produced.
- Cater to loyal listeners: Although audio podcasts grow more slowly than video, word-of-mouth marketing leads to listener loyalty.
- Live read advertising is the most effective: Most podcasts start to generate revenue when they reach 30,000 downloads per month. Shows are best monetized on a cost per thousand, CPM, model and the most effective ads are interstitial spots read by live by hosts.
- Successful podcasts don’t have to make money: While some programs can generate revenue, successful podcasts can help reinforce your company’s position in the market, keep your company top of mind with consumers, and extend your brand offline, into customers ears.
- Read more: Laugh Tech: one comedy club identified and capitalized on innovation opportunities
SEE:Seven ways to build brand awareness into your digital strategy (Tech Pro Research story)
We appreciate your feedback and support! Contact us here: podcast [at] techrepublic [dot] com, and (646) 389-5404.
TechRepublic and Tech Pro Research publish a number of free and useful business technology newsletters. Each week we spotlight a newsletter that summarizes the week’s most interesting stories. If you want to keep up with innovative business technology trends, you should subscribe to our Headlines newsletter.
More TechRepublic podcasts
- Podcast: Learning to fly – a decade on Twitter
- Audio story: NASA’s virtual reality experiment
- Audio story: What IoT and smart governments will mean for you
- Audio story: The 2,000 year old computer that’s rewriting human history
- Audio story: How the ‘PayPal Mafia’ redefined success in Silicon Valley
Thanks for listening.