There are days when I live and die by my to-do lists. When I'm in a hurry, the last thing I want to do is get into Google Keep, locate my to-do list, and open it to check the list.
This is where Collateral comes into play. With this incredibly handy tool, you can add to-do lists and notes to your Android Notification Shade for quick access. This is probably one of the easiest to-do lists tools you will ever use on Android.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Search for collateral.
- Locate and tap the entry by Genepaul Vargas.
- Tap Install.
- Read the permissions listing carefully.
- If the permissions listing is acceptable, tap Accept.
- Allow the installation to complete.
You should see a launcher for the app in the App Drawer, on your home screen, or in both places. Tap the launcher to fire up the app.
From the main window, tap the overflow menu (or slide right from the left edge) to open the sidebar. Tap to select either Create Note or Create List (Figure A).
Collateral running on a Verizon-branded Nexus 6.
If you're creating a note, you can set that note as either a default notification or an ongoing notification. If you create a default notification, you can swipe away the note from within the Notification Shade. If you create an ongoing notification, that note cannot be swiped away.
Collateral offers options that make the app even more useful. From within the Settings window, you'll find three categories. Tap on Notifications, and you can add a share action in the notification as well as set Ongoing as the default status of notes and lists (Figure B).
Configuring notification options in Collateral.
You can also set the priority of Collateral notifications from within Settings | Notifications to:
- Normal (default)
- Always on Top
- Towards Top
- Towards Bottom
- Hide Icon
Normal puts your Collateral notes and lists in the center of your Notification Shade. If you'd prefer them higher, select either Always On Top or Towards Top.
Your new go-to app for to-do lists
If you're looking for the easiest way to get notes and lists into your Android Notification Shade, you cannot go wrong with Collateral. It's simple to use, free, and works like a champ.
- Pro tip: Use Google Cloud Print to make printing from Android a dream (TechRepublic)
- Pro tip: Post in Google+ to multiple communities, people, and collections (TechRepublic)
- Pro tip: Hibernate resource-hogging Android apps with Greenify (TechRepublic)
- Pro tip: Access all your cloud accounts from one location on Android (TechRepublic)
Jack Wallen is an award-winning writer for TechRepublic and Linux.com. He’s an avid promoter of open source and the voice of The Android Expert. For more news about Jack Wallen, visit his website jackwallen.com.