Most of the rumors about the new version of the Xbox 360 were correct. It’s called the Xbox 360 Elite, it is black, it has a 120 GB hard drive, and it has an HDMI port. Microsoft officially unveiled the details today, including the $479 price tag and a release date of April 29 (sooner than most expected). Microsoft has also indirectly stated that this new release addresses some of the quality issues that have plagued the Xbox 360 (e.g. overheating) and resulted in high numbers of returns and maintenance calls.
For more details, take a look at these links:
- Microsoft announces Xbox 360 Elite (News.com)
- Microsoft to Release Bulked Up Xbox 360 (Forbes/AP)
- Souped-up Xbox 360 set for April (Reuters)
- More on Xbox 360 Elite (GameSpot)
- Xbox 360 Elite: What You Need to Know (GameSpot)
So what does this mean for current Xbox 360 owners? TechRepublic’s Shawn Morton has some interesting thoughts on that.
Here’s a photo of the new Xbox 360 Elite: