There are many ways to transfer files between a desktop and a tablet, but a lot of them are too complicated or costly for most users. One of the simplest and most cost effective solution I’ve found is called File Expert.
File Expert is a powerful Wi-Fi enabled file manager that allows you to easily move files from a PC to a tablet through a convenient web interface. File Expert offers the following features:
- All basic file operations: copy, paste, move, create and rename
- Easy to use UI
- FTP/HTTP Server allows you to manage files without a USB cable
- Root access to system folders and files like Root Explorer (requires the File Expert Pro Key Plugin for $2.99)
- Cloud storage (supports Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, SkyDrive, SugarSync)
- SMB, FTP, SFTP, FTPS, WebDAV and Bluetooth OBEX support
- Bluetooth support
- NFC & WIFI Direct Support
- WiFi Send
- App Manager to uninstall/backup apps
- Archive manager
- View thumbnails, text files, and images
- Search SD card
- Stream media from SMB share
- File picker
- Theme support, so you can choose themes that you love
- Built-in DLNA media server
Let’s take a look at how to transfer files from a PC to your tablet with File Expert, as this is one of the app’s most useful features.
Follow these steps to install File Expert:
- Open the Google Play Store on your tablet
- Search for “file expert” (no quotes)
- Tap the entry for File Expert
- Tap Install
- Tap Accept & download
NOTE: The biggest difference between the free and the paid version (File Expert Pro Key Plugin) is that the paid version acts as a root file manager, which allows you to explore beyond the SD card on your device. The free version is locked down to the SD memory.
Now that File Expert is installed, it’s time to use it to transfer files from your desktop. The first task is to make sure the tablet and the desktop are on the same network. Once that is done, fire up File Expert and look for the My Tools tab (Figure A).
File Expert as used on a Verizon-branded Samsung Galaxy Tab.
From within that tab, tap the Web PC Suite icon. In the new window (Figure B), tap the Open Service bar at the bottom of the window.
If you tap Settings, you can change the port File Expert will listen on.
Once you tap the Open Service bar, you’ll be given a web address and verification code that gives you access to the web interface. Open up your web browser, enter the address, and then (when prompted) enter the verification code. When you’ve successfully authenticated against the code, you’ll land on the File Expert web interface (Figure C).
Here is the full-blown web-based interface for File Expert.
To transfer a file with the web interface, follow these steps:
- Click the File Expert icon
- In the new window (Figure D), navigate to the folder where you want the new file to be uploaded
- Click the up arrow in the toolbar
- Click the Add Files button in the new window
- Navigate to the file to be uploaded
- Click Open
- Once the file is uploaded, click Close
- Close the File Expert window
Navigate to the folder in File Expert.
That’s it. The file should now be located on the tablet.
If you’re hard pressed to get a file from your PC to your Android tablet, and you want that method to be as simple as a quick install and a web-based interface, look no further than File Expert. Obviously, from looking at the web interface, there’s also plenty more that can be done.
What file manager application(s) do you use? Share your experience and/or recommendations in the discussion thread below.