I wrote about Jive releasing Producteev as a free social task management platform in June 2013 and came away liking the Producteev social task management platform. The Jive Software acquisition of Producteev
is a rare case when an application gets a second life and the chance to reach
its full potential.
Producteev is worth a look, whether you’re seeking a new
social task management tool because Do.com is shutting down Jan. 31, 2014, or because your team wants to start the new year with a better task management solution. I’ll describe how to get started
with Producteev through its web app.
Signing up for Producteev
As of this writing, you can sign up for Producteev for free; all you have to do is enter your email address in the field provided on the
Producteev home page. Once you set up a Producteev account, you can send invites
to other team members to join Producteev.
Another option is to log in to Producteev using your Google
account (my preferred method) or your Facebook account.
Creating a network and your first project
Producteev creates a default network with your username. If
you want to use another nomenclature, you can create new networks for
your organization’s offices or departments. Follow these steps to create a network.
1. In the Networks list, click New Network. The
Start A New Network dialog box appears (Figure A).
Start a new Producteev network
2. Enter a name for your new network and click Create The Network. A Setup dialog appears similar to Figure B.
Start a project
3. Enter a descriptive name for your project in the
Name The Project field.
4. Enter a description of the project in
the Add A Description field. (This step is not mandatory.)
5. Perform one of the following options under Access Settings:
a. Select Open to leave your new project open to
any user with access to your network.
b. Select Private to restrict the project to
designated users. When you select Private, a Choose Who Else Is Allowed To
Access This Project drop-down list appears. Type in the names of the other
users you want to access the project.
6. Click Start A Project. A blank Producteev project
appears similar to Figure C.
Blank Producteev project (Click the image to enlarge.)
Producteev clearly labels the task entry fields, making it
appealing to a wide range of users. Follow these steps to enter a task.
1. Place your cursor in the Type Here To Create A Task field.
2. Type in your first task and press Enter. Your new
task appears in the Newly Created section of the task list similar to Figure D.
A newly created task
Labels can help you organize your Producteev tasks. Follow these steps to add labels.
1. Click the Add Labels link directly to the right
of your tasks. The Add Labels dialog appears (Figure E).
Add labels to Producteev tasks (Click the image to enlarge.)
2. Type your first label in the Type A Label Name
field and press Enter. The tag appears beside the task in
the Labels section on the left hand navigation bar and on the Add Labels
It’s always a good idea to be consistent when using labels. I recommend coming up with a list of
labels your team plans to use and entering all of them by following these steps.
1. Go to the Labels section in the left hand navigation
2. Click the + sign and the Create A Label dialog box
for the project appears similar to Figure F.
Create a label for your project tasks
3. Enter a name and a color (this is optional) for the label.
4. Click Create Label.
The label you preset will now appear in the Add Labels
Scheduling a task
Producteev enables you to schedule tasks with a date and
time. Follow these steps to schedule a task.
1. Click Schedule It on the far right side of your
task. The Schedule It dialog box appears (Figure G).
Schedule a task
2. Perform one of these options to schedule a date for your task: (1) place your cursor in the When field and select a
date from the calendar that appears, or (2) select Today, Tomorrow, Next Week, or Next Month.
3. Perform one of these options to schedule a time for your task: (1) verify that All Day is selected if the task is
scheduled for all day, or (2) deselect All Day and click the Schedule A Time field. A drop-down list of
times appears. Select a time for your task to take place.
4. Select a Reminder for the event in the Reminder
5. Click Save.
Producteev includes backend settings that govern basic
platform and user management tasks. Click your avatar in the top right corner
of the screen and select Settings. The Settings screen appears similar to
Producteev settings (Click the image to enlarge.)
Available settings include:
- Edit Profile: You can add a picture as your
avatar and edit your name and title.
- Change Password: You can change your
- Emails: You can specify additional email
addresses for receiving Producteev notifications and creating tasks.
- Notification Settings: You can define
events that send you notifications via email, Producteev iPhone app, or the Mac
OS X Notification Center.
- Applications: You can manage the
applications that connect with Producteev, including the Producteev Web,
Producteev iOS, and Producteev Mac apps.
- Import: You can import data from Do.com
into your Producteev account.
What do you use?
Does your team use Producteev? If not, what’s your task management platform of choice? Let us know in the discussion.