Enterprise Software

Support diary: Anonymous (Wednesday)

Here's the diary entry for day three in our intrepid Help Desk analyst's busy week.

Our guest MCSE got a late start on the last day of her trip to the Big Apple.

Read Monday’s entry .

Read Tuesday’s entry .

9:30 A.M.
I get to the Manhattan office pretty late. My stuff is still not together for checkout at the hotel. Eventually, everything I do begins to look like the big bag of CDs I had to clean up Sunday. Oh well, there’s only three tickets open for this office. I can get back in two hours and still be gone by the noon checkout.

Coffee in hand, I check with NYC (my Manhattan counterpart). We agreed yesterday that he should spend today in the office north of the city. All the tickets are closed, and this will give him an opportunity to work on the fun things he has been putting off, like installing the RWR CD the boss sent him last month. No more tickets have been added. I have two new installs, and a user called in yesterday saying he has no fonts.

9:50 A.M.
I try to find the font guy first. He’s not in today and he has his laptop with him. None of his coworkers knows about his font problem. I’m tempted to close the ticket. I can’t believe he doesn’t have any fonts. He probably wants a script font or something. Oh well, NYC will just have to take care of this tomorrow. He can probably do it by phone. I update the ticket and leave it open.

And now to install
I begin on the first install. The user isn’t here and he has his laptop with him, so I can’t transfer data, but I can set up and image the new desktop. I leave him a message to call when we can do the transfer, and close the ticket.

10:45 A.M.
I’m just now getting to the second install. This user is here. She leaves her laptop with me and takes a break. About 30 minutes later she stops by. The new desktop is installed, and I’m in the middle of transferring her data. She feels certain everything of hers is in her data directory, so as long as I get that transferred she’ll be OK. I notice a directory called Courtney. Since that is her name, I transfer it as well.

I check in with my associate back home. All is under control. I’m not to worry. The poor guy has probably worked himself silly the last couple of days.

11:50 A.M.
Arrrrggh! How did it get so late? I call the hotel, and they’re happy to give me 'til 1:30 P.M. to check out. All I need to do before I leave is ship that printer to the user in the north office whose printer shows the service 50 error. Victor, the guy in charge of the mailroom, gives me a hand. New Yorkers seem pretty nice to me.

12:20 P.M.
Victor has a little problem with his PC. He can’t get out on the Internet. I check it out. For some reason he still has IE 3.02. That was supposed to be upgraded last year in our Y2K sweep. A lot of that work was done by contractors, and I guess someone dropped the ball. I download IE 4.01 for him and set the proxy server so he can get out. I’m in a huge hurry, so I’ll input the ticket tomorrow, when I get home.

1:25 P.M.
I make it. All is packed. I have checked out and am on my way to the airport. It hasn’t snowed since last night, and the local new says LaGuardia opened this morning. I’m confirmed on the 3:40 flight. I have to make a connection but should be home by 8:30.

2:30 P.M.
I find a table in the airport bar and order lunch (no, not the liquid kind). I open my laptop and use my PCS phone to join our weekly team conference call. I can’t stay on the call because the noise from the bar is just too loud and it interferes with the meeting. Great! That gives me time to clean up today’s entry for TechRepublic.

And I’m off
The plane takes off at 3:50 P.M., and my New York adventure is over. Tomorrow I’m back at my office.
To comment on this diary entry, please post a comment below or follow this link to send usa note .

Editor's Picks

Free Newsletters, In your Inbox