There is no silver bullet for productivity. And there's also no end to the advice for being more productive. So I did a quick survey of some of the most common advice from respectable sources and boiled it down to a productive list of five productivity tips:
1. Write down what you need to do and do the most important work first.
This one can be hard because less important work may be way easier and more enjoyable. But having a list helps you tackle the right things in the right order.
2. Block out time to tackle your to-do list.
You might even give each item on your to-do list a block of time all its own.
SEE: Time management tips for tech professionals (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
3. Reduce notifications.
Focus on the task at hand. Multitasking is a myth. While you may be able to jog between a few things, really, focusing on one at a time will get more done.
4. Take a break!
Working continuously blinds you to how much slower you're doing things. Schedule a reasonable number of regular breaks to give you brain a rest. You wouldn't force yourself to eight straight hours of weightlifting without a break right? Well, okay, Superman would, but most of us wouldn't.
5. Cut meeting time by 25%.
Meetings are like gas. They'll expand to fill the amount of room you give them.
I can see you being more productive already! Now go reap the benefits of your new efficiency!
- Is tech killing workplace productivity? (TechRepublic)
- Video: 3 ways to manage your task list, from low tech to high tech (TechRepublic)
- 10 great Mac tips to make you more productive (TechRepublic)
- Productivity boosting tech tips to help you get more done in a day (ZDNet)
- Laptops and tablets banned? Here's how to stay productive in flight (ZDNet)
- The 30-minute meeting: Why shorter meetings can be more productive (TechRepublic)
Tom is an award-winning independent tech podcaster and host of regular tech news and information shows. Tom hosts Sword and Laser, a science fiction and fantasy podcast, and book club with Veronica Belmont. He also hosts Daily Tech News Show, covering the most important tech issues of the day with the smartest minds in technology.