You might know that Alexa can tell you the weather or a joke, but did you know she can also help you make conference calls and manage your schedule? Here are five ways Alexa is helpful for business.
Alexa — I'm not trying to sneakily order toilet paper on your Amazon Echo — has come a long way since she first arrived in the Echo, appearing in TVs, working with smart homes and integrating into business.
So at the risk of setting her off again, here are five great uses for Alexa:
1. Connecting to conference calls
Alexa works with Cisco, Polycom, WebEx, Skype, Google G Suite, and more. What's better than to walk into a conference room and just say, "Connect to my 10 a.m conference call?" Well, maybe having the call canceled, depending.
2. Managing your schedule
So if you want to check if that 10 a.m. is still on, or even cancel it yourself, just say so.
3. Calling IT or facilities
When set up in your business, you can ask Alexa to tell the appropriate department that your monitor is broken or the HVAC is on the fritz in the conference room or whatever.
4. Combining your account with the company's
Enrollment tools let employees use their own Amazon accounts on their Alexa devices at work, letting them carry over skills and preferences to their desk.
5. Enterprise-level security and manageability
If the idea of Alexa for business sounds tedious, keep in mind there are tools from Amazon to let you set up hundreds or thousands of devices without having to configure each one separately.
Now we're talking. To our devices. At work.
For more, check out TechRepublic's Alexa for Business Cheat Sheet.
- Alexa Skills: Cheat sheet (TechRepublic)
- Smart office technology: What's working, what's failing, and what users want out of it (Tech Pro Research)
- Amazon brings its digital assistant to the office with Alexa for Business (TechRepublic)
- Amazon CTO: Here are 3 things you need to make voice tech work in the office (TechRepublic)
- Amazon Alexa: The smart person's guide (TechRepublic)
- Alexa for Business likely to win in smart office, leverage AWS, Echo, developers and consumers (ZDNet)
- Alexa for Business: 10 key takeaways (ZDNet)