Word’s Chapter numbering styles not only number your chapter headings, they can also display the chapter number with the page number in a header or footer. Follow these steps:
- Click on the page where you want the first chapter title to appear.
- For Word 2002/2003, go to Format | Bullets And Numbering, click the Outline Numbered tab, and then click the Chapter option, as shown below.
In Word 2007, click the Multilevel List button in the Paragraph group on the Home tab and then click the Chapter option as shown below.
- Click the Center button to center your chapter title, if desired.
- Go to Insert | Page Numbers. (Click Page Numbers on the Insert tab in 2007.)
- Click Bottom Of Page.
- Click Right.
- Click the Format button. (In Word 2007, click Format Page Numbers.)
- Select the Include Chapter Number check box and then click OK twice.
Each time you come to a new chapter, follow step 2 to insert the chapter title. Word will automatically number the chapters for you and place the chapter number alongside the page number in the footer.
Miss a Word tip?
Check out the Microsoft Word archive and catch up on other Word tips.
Help users increase productivity by automatically signing up for TechRepublic’s free Microsoft Office Suite newsletter, featuring Word, Excel, and Access tips, delivered each Wednesday.