Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are high on the list of top rated CEOs by employees, according to a new report from Glassdoor.
Tech CEOs are leading the industry in terms of employee satisfaction: Of the top 100 highest rated CEOs in America, 26 are in the tech industry, according to a new report from Glassdoor.
"This year, technology is the most represented industry among the top 100 highest rated CEOs," Scott Dobroski, Glassdoor community expert, told TechRepublic. "This isn't surprising, as tech is a booming industry that has driven innovation across all markets, including in workplace culture and management practices."
These top tech CEOs share several overlapping characteristics, according to employees, Dobroski said. "First, employees at these tech companies thrive on the strong, mission-driven culture led by the CEO, as well as appreciate the emphasis on making a real impact on the world, including at companies like Google and Apple," he said. "Employees also appreciate the transparent leadership style exercised at companies like Facebook and Salesforce."
Glassdoor created the report based on employee reviews and ratings of their CEO. Among the more than 700,000 employers reviewed on Glassdoor, the average CEO approval rating is 67%. It should also be noted that only eight of the 100 CEOs are women.
SEE: Lean Six Sigma & Quality Management Bundle (TechRepublic Academy)
Here are the top 10 highest rated US CEOs in 2017, and their approval ratings:
1. The Clorox Company's Benno Dorer (99% approval)
2. World Wide Technology's Jim Kavanaugh (99% approval)
3. Boston Scientific's Michael F. Mahoney (99% approval)
4. Memorial Sloan Kettering's Craig B. Thompson (99% approval)
5. Fast Enterprises' Martin Rankin (99% approval)
6. NVIDIA's Jen-Hsun Huang (99% approval)
7. Bain & Company's Bob Bechek (98% approval)
8. SpaceX's Elon Musk (98% approval)
9. HubSpot's Brian Halligan (98% approval)
10. Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg (98% approval)
Other tech CEOs who appeared further down the list include Intuit's Brad Smith, Salesforce's Marc Benioff, Google's Sundar Pichai, Adobe's Shantanu Narayen, and SAP's Bill McDermott, among others.
"We know that CEO approval ratings correlate to overall employee satisfaction and trust in senior leadership, which contributes to long-term employee engagement, ultimately helping an employer's recruiting and retention efforts," said Robert Hohman, Glassdoor co-founder and CEO, in a press release announcing the findings.
Highly rated CEOs are statistically linked to companies with great cultures, according to a study from Glassdoor Economic Research. There is also a strong link between CEO approval rating and the company's financial performance, Glassdoor found.
- Report: 11 of the 25 highest paying jobs in the US are in tech (TechRepublic)
- The 10 hottest developer jobs of 2017 (TechRepublic)
- The top 8 companies for women in tech, as ranked by female employees (TechRepublic)
- Facebook and YouTube execs are among the world's most powerful women, says Forbes (ZDNet)
- The 20 best tech companies to work for, ranked (TechRepublic)
- Solving the disconnect between the CEO and the data center (Tech Pro Research)