These less-well-known keyboard shortcuts will help you open Task Manager, launch File Explorer, lock your computer and more without touching the mouse.
This tip from Ed Bott, outlines a few less well-known keyboard shortcuts that can save you time and few mouse clicks.
These two shortcuts work on any Windows version:
- Ctrl+Shift+Esc opens the Task Manager, which is great for quickly closing apps that aren't responding.
- Need to quickly access a file or folder? Hold down the Windows key + E to open the File Explorer.
For Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, here are some new shortcuts:
- Windows key + L will immediately lock the PC, which is a good security measure when stepping away from your machine.
- Windows key + X is a faster way to open Quick Link menu than right-clicking on Start.
- Windows key + I opens the Windows Settings app, where you can search for a setting by just typing its name.
- Windows key + Print Screen takes a screenshot and saves it in a subfolder of Pictures.