An expert on online reputation management gives five reasons you should include a QR code in your resume.
James Alexander, Founder & CEO of Vizibility, says that adding a QR code to your resume is a tech-savvy way to illustrate your strengths. A QR (quick-response) code is a two-dimensional, barcode-like image that, once scanned, directs potential employers to carefully selected, customized web pages for more information about a job seeker. (Figure A shows a QR code.)
Those of us who don't want to be thought of as an object or commodity might get a little creeped out by this, but Alexander offers reasons you need a QR code on your resume:
- Get some attention: QR codes are used on all sorts of marketing materials, but they're still pretty rare on resumes. When you use a QR code, your resume stands out. It's also like Botox for your resume, branding older job seekers as tech-savvy.
- Don't land in the round file: A QR code can help you make sure prospective employers see relevant links about you when they conduct an online search...instead of an arrest record belonging to someone with the same or a similar name.
- Send a mobile-friendly message: Over half of online searches start from a mobile device these days. With the right service, you can set up a QR code that links to a mobile-friendly mini-site that showcases curated links and information. It will make a better impression than sending a user to a portfolio site that requires side-to-side scrolling.
- Check out who's interested: With an online identity management service, you can set up an alert system to receive a text or email when someone scans your QR code. You can also receive geographical information to identify where the scan originated to track interest in your resume.
- Keep your links up to date and/or change your focus: You control the URL to which your QR code directs users. You can change the links and information at your mobile mini-site to accommodate new information you want to share with prospective employers or to tailor your profile for specific job searches.