Project Management Professional (PMP) is the most frequently desired certification according to the latest Dice report, with nearly 2,200 requests in job postings on any given day, up nine percent year/year.
Following close on the PMP's heels are CCNA certifications. Job postings for Cisco Certified Network Associates were at 1,200 on any given day, up 21% yr/yr. Entry-level network technicians have found CompTIA's Network+ certification helpful in job hunting.
Certified Information Systems Security Professionals (CISSP) certification is asked for frequently in IT jobs based in Washington, D.C. This is because that certification, along with Security+, is required of contractors by the Department of Defense.
ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library) experience and expertise remains a top area. Dice says it is becoming even more vital, with service deliverability being so essential. Those with ITIL credentials can command a six-figure salary.
Here's the top-ten list from Dice:
- PMP (Project Management Professional)
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
- MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer)
- MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional)
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library)
- MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional)
Toni Bowers is the former Managing Editor of TechRepublic and is the award-winning blogger of the Career Management blog. She has edited newsletters, books, and web sites pertaining to software, IT career, and IT management issues.